Keenum named 2002 Miss MSU

The stage was set, the lights were on with a tropical theme for this year’s Miss Mississippi State University pageant where Melissa Keenum was crowned Feb. 7 as this year’s Miss MSU. The 14 contestants said they were full of jitters, and the audience looked as if it was full of anticipation, ready to find out who would be the next Miss MSU after entertaining the audience with vocals, lyrical ballet, tap dancing, choreographed martial arts, piano and a ballet ribbon dance.
    Although the preliminaries actually began at 12:45 p.m. Feb. 7 as each contestant was interviewed individually by the judges in the alumni center, the pageant began with host Mike Richardson introducing last year’s Miss MSU, Laranda Moffet, and Miss Mississippi, Becky Pruitt. Richardson then introduced each one of this year’s beautiful and talented contestants.
    The contestants of the pageant had to compete in four categories: swimwear, eveningwear, talent and interview. The interview section of the pageant counted 30 percent of the total score, swimwear and eveningwear counted 15 percent each and talent counted for 40 percent of the competition.
    Moffet provided much of the competition’s entertainment along with Pruitt. Moffet and Pruitt both sang and told jokes during breaks between each competition.
    “The pageant and women competing
    were all so beautiful, and Laranda Moffet was really funny,” Emily Darnell, an audience member, said.
    Near the end of the competition, all the contestants were called back on stage to find out who would be crowned the next Miss MSU. As Richardson began announcing the names of the winners. Winners were Moss Point native and senior biology major Keenum, the newest Miss MSU. The first runner up was junior Kim Blackwell from Union. The second runner up was Allison Bland, an elementary eduacation major from Olive Branch, and third runner up junior Jessica Sparks of Belmont followed by fourth runner up Paulette Denmark, a junior from Starkville.
    “I am in shock,” Keenum said. “I can’t believe I won. I am glad it’s over and it probably will not hit me until tomorrow morning or in a few days when I really realize what all this means to me.”
    “My friends and boyfriend were all there to support me by bringing me food and anything I needed during this stressful week. I can’t wait to compete in the Miss Mississippi pageant, and hopefully I will be able to represent Mississippi State very well.
    “I don’t know how I am going to be able to replace last year’s winner, Laranda (Moffet),” Keenum said. “She was great, but hopefully I will do my best to represent everyone here at MSU.”
    Moffet had plenty to say about this year’s pageant and this year’s winner. “I can’t believe it’s already over. This has easily been the best and busiest year of my life,” Moffet said. “I would not have traded this year for anything-I have met so many new people and have been introduced to so many new things. I also could not have done any of this without the support of my boyfriend and my parents. They were my biggest support and I love them all.”
    “I have had all week to spend with all of these girls, and these are all great girls. The judges had a very difficult job of trying to pick the winner, but I believe they picked a beautiful and intelligent girl to represent MSU in this year’s Miss Mississippi Pageant,” Moffet said.
    The Miss Mississippi pageant will be held July 1 in Vicksburg and the 2002 Miss Mississippi will go on to compete in the Miss America pageant. The Miss America program is the biggest scholarship opportunity for women in America, giving $5 million every year for scholarships.
    All of the women who placed in the top five of Miss Mississippi State received scholarships ranging from $100 to $1,000. Money was donated by the MSU Student Association and the office of Student Life.