Original Junk Band premieres at Ground Zero

Clarksdale’s newest blues club, Ground Zero, will christen the newly formed Original Junk Band in the band’s first live performance on Feb. 9, 2002. Ground Zero, owned by actor Morgan Freeman, will be flooded with The Original Junk Band’s “rich, rhythmic jazz” as the Oxford-based band performs live for the first time since its inception.
    The Original Junk Band will debut its first original album, “In the Name of Music,” for what is sure to be an electric crowd, and the lineup for the show is very promising as well.
    The Original Junk Band will open the show with an acoustic set, followed by a few Led Zeppelin and Bob Marley covers and will finish the show with the debut performance of their new seven-track album.
    The Original Junk Band was formed a short time ago in Oxford, when lead guitarist/singer, Andrew Yurkow, traveled from Cleveland to Oxford with the intention of recording an album.
    Upon arrival, Yurkow hooked up with several local musicians to record “In the Name of Music” with Tweed Productions. The album was completed by Jan. 15, and The Original Junk Band was on its way. The five-member band was later accompanied by three female backup vocalists to give the band the sound that Yurkow was looking for.
    The Original Junk Band includes musicians Yurkow of Cleveland, Nick Hendrix of Pontotoc, Nick Sakalarious of Hattiesburg, Kevin Gentry of Jackson and Andrew Ratcliffe of Atlanta. Singing backup vocals are Sarah Christopher of Brookhaven, Stephanie Sims of Cleveland and Jenna McKenzie of Atlanta. Two special guest performers, Brandon Lewis and Zach Sellman, will join the Original Junk Band for their Feb. 9 performance.
    The eclectic blend of performers is sure to be a crowd pleaser, and the energy of the show should be nothing short of spectacular.
    Christopher gives an insider’s view of what fans can expect at the Ground Zero live show.
    “I almost hate that I’m included in the performance because I want so badly to see the show. It is going to be an awesome show,” Christopher said. “The band members get all decked out in huge costumes and hair-they really get into character for the show.
    “It will be a huge media event, and it is rumored that Morgan Freeman will be attending. We’re all very excited about the show.”
    The Original Junk Band will take centerstage around 9:30 p.m. and continue to play until around 1 a.m. Crowd members will definitely not get cheated out of a good showing, as one band member said, “there will never be a moment without music.”
    Everyone is encouraged to attend and witness The Original Junk Bands debut live performance.
    For ticket information call 236-5532 or 234-1467, or call Ground Zero Blues Club at (662) 621-9009.