Women’s track pick up new athletes

Mississippi State’s women’s track team has announced the signing of Jessica Braswell and Mina Thorstenson. Braswell hails from Oak Mountain, Ala., where she lettered in track for coaches Jessica Godwin, Marty Springfield and Paul Anderton. She placed fifth in the state 5A 800-meter run as a junior. She also helped Oak Mountain High School to place second at the state indoor track championships this year.
    Thorstenson is from Waukesha, Wis., where she won the WISAA state championship in the 3200 meters as a sophomore. She has also helped her team to a second-place finish the past three cross country seasons. She also took first place in the indoor conference meet her junior year.
    “Thorstenson will be another important ingredient for a run at the SEC cross country title,” said head coach Al Schmidt.
    “The coaches feel that in the future, Braswell will help us move up in the SEC. She is another solid addition to our team.”
    Braswell is the younger sister of Auburn track star Erica Braswell.
    Thorstenson’s best time in the 1600m is 5:17 and ran her best 3200m in 11:19. She has been named to the honor roll and is a member of the National Honor
    Society.
    Mina Thorstenson is the daugher of Mary and Eric Thorstenson. Jessica Braswell is the daughter of Debbie and Wendell Braswell.