Diamond ‘Dawgs get wins No. 18, 19

Enrico Jones drove in a career-high five runs and starting pitcher Ryan Carroll (1-0) picked up his first career win as Mississippi State (19-11-1) bested Mississippi Valley State (7-31) 11-1 at Dudy Noble Field. It was the fourth win in the last five games for the Bulldogs, who open a three-game SEC Western Division weekend series Friday with Arkansas (18-11, 4-5 SEC). Jones lashed a two-run home run in the fourth inning, his first round-tripper of the year, doubled in two runs in the sixth and drove in a fifth run with a sacrifice fly during a five-run Bulldog scoring burst in the seventh inning.
    Carroll, making his second start and his 42nd career appearance, retired the six batters he faced in two innings to pick up the win. Carroll and seven other Bulldog hurlers combined for 12 strikeouts and a staff season-low two hits.
    Robby Goodson and Chris Young fanned the three batters they faced during their respective one-inning mound stints.
    Michael Brown went 3-for-3 and lashed a pair of doubles, and both Brent Lewis and Steve Gendron turned in two-hit, two-RBI plate performances. Brown and Matthew Brinson legged out doubles and Matthew Maniscalco hit a triple as the Bulldogs batted through the order during their five-run eighth inning.
    MVSU starter Trey Wall (0-9), playing in his hometown, took the loss, giving up four runs on six hits during his 3-1/3 innings on the mound.
    The Delta Devils scored their lone run in the fifth inning when Keith Ford walked, advanced on a single and a sacrifice bunt, and then scored on Adrian Brown’s pinch-hit infield groundout.
    MSU 11, MVSU 1
    MVSU 000 010 000–1-2-1
    MSU 101 202 50x–11-15-0
    WP–Ryan Carroll (1-0). LP–Trey Wall (0-9). HR–Enrico Jones (1). T–2:23.