Don’t let any excuse keep you from your reading

“Next up is Moby Dick,” the professor professed proudly, eager to share the classic work and its symbolism and status with his students.
    Insert groans and jaw-drops.
    Result: one dejected professor with a roomful of college kids making mental notes to go purchase Cliffs Notes.
    When we were young, the importance of reading was emphasized by teachers left and right. We were taken to the library on regular field trips and our parents read to us in hopes of instilling in us a sense of creativity, imagination and, eventually, a love for literature.
    Now, though, teachers have given in to our apathy. Literature professors joke about the widespread aversion to books as they assign them. They view the average college student as largely uninterested in every novel, poem and short story they attempt to share. This mentality is apparent in off-hand comments professors attach to assignments in a bargaining fashion-“Don’t worry; we’re only going to read excerpts,” or “‘War and Peace’ isn’t that long.”
    Of course there are exceptions, such as yours truly, who enjoy reading and make efforts to read outside of class. I know of many readers, or at least, self-proclaimed readers.
    How many people who “enjoy reading” are actually avid readers? How many people go out of their way to read for pleasure?
    The national statistics are shocking. As reported by the U.S. Department of Education, 44 percent of American adults do not even read one book a year.
    I predict this percentage to be climbing steadily as technology becomes more powerful and prevalent, and as children become computer-savvy at younger ages. It is a common misconception that with technological advancements, the importance of reading diminishes.
    The U.S. Department of Education has also reported that the average kindergarten student has watched more than 5,000 hours of television, and that the percentage of illiterate Americans is rising rapidly. I sense a correlation here.
    It is the parents’ responsibility to provide a thorough basis for literacy and learning when their children are young. However, when these children are out of grade school and living on their own, it is the responsibility of the individual to continue growing, literarily speaking. The continuation of literacy and education is a responsibility neglected by many, especially those who don’t see any importance in reading.
    A common excuse for slacking off on the books while in college is simply, “I don’t have the time.” If you always keeping a book on your bedside table and pick it up whenever you have a few minutes to spare, you’ll find you’ll make significant progress and be caught up in the book in no time. Even reading one book a semester is better than nothing.
    “I just don’t like to read,” is one excuse that cuts to the core of this and many other English majors. I can’t think of one person who doesn’t like to watch television or movies. If you enjoy these visual forms of entertainment, there is still a book out there for you.
    Books encourage deep thinking and allow you to paint your own pictures and to carry out the plots in your mind with whatever details your imagination decides to add. Books are flexible and read differently to everyone, for that reason, making it a more universal form of entertainment.
    Movies and television do the work for you, which some claim is a good thing, but visual appeal doesn’t always mean mental stimulation. Even if a movie leaves a lasting impression, few get under your skin the way books can.
    Books make you a part of the story by allowing you to create scenes in your imagination.
    If you aren’t a regular reader, look at the things you already enjoy, and choose a book based on that.
    If you like soap opera-esque shows such as “The O.C.,” pick up Jane Austen’s “Pride and Prejudice,” which contains enough drama, romance, back-stabbing and love triangles to make you blush.
    If you enjoy dry wit and hilariously creative wordplay, try Lemony Snicket’s “A Series of Unfortunate Events,” disregarding the kiddie quality of the movie.
    If you stay glued to the Sci-Fi Channel, read Ray Bradbury’s “The Martian Chronicles” or Philip Pullman’s “His Dark Materials” trilogy.
    If you are a sucker for chick flicks, read Thomas Hardy’s “Tess of the D’Urbervilles,” a beautifully tragic romance that will leave you sighing and weeping.
    To anyone I’d recommend the Harry Potter series, which are every bit as exceptional and engaging as they are lauded to be.
    I can claim with every assurance that there is a book out there for everyone, and it’s well worth taking the time to find it.
    Chances are it will open the door for many more literary endeavors.
    Erin Clyburn is a sophomore English major. She can be reached at [email protected].