‘Napoleon’ finally comes to DVD… Gaah!

Napoleon Dynamite
    Fox Searchlight
    Starring: Jon Heder, Jon Gries and Aaron Ruell
    The Verdict: ‘Napoleon’s’ original approach adds to the humor in this pointless movie.
    Movie: 3 out of 4 stars
    Extra Features: 2 1/2 out of 4 stars
    Although “Napoleon Dynamite” certainly has its moments, this unusual comedy’s trendy MTV influence can overshadow the absurd innovation.
    Casually, “Dynamite” opens with its title hero boarding a school bus. As he sits on the back seat, a child intimidates the incompetent Napoleon, “What are you gonna do today, Napoleon?” The poster child for geekdom defensively replies, “Whatever I feel like I’m gonna do. Gosh!”
    Afterwards, Napoleon grabs an action figure from his dorky folder. With some fishing line attached to the toy, our protagonist throws the figure out the bus window and holds the line. The camera shows the plastic body skipping on the gravel road, and Napoleon looks enthralled.
    Without a doubt, this is one of the weirdest preludes ever conjured, and it serves as a precedent for the impending humor in “Dynamite.” Mockingly unorthodox behavior from hopeless wastes of space has never been funnier.
    And Jon Heder makes this film. Whether Napoleon calls home from school for chapstick or relates a wolverine hunting trip, Heder never loses sight of being the most pathetic nerd he can muster. His mouth hangs open with more dumbfoundedness than any pimple-faced AD&D worshipper or zombie from “Dawn of the Dead.”
    Simply, everything about Heder defines the loser’s technique. He runs like a loser; he opens a door like a loser; he chews food like a loser. It’s so convincing that one would think the actor visited Boy Scout camps and Halo tournaments to hone his lameness.
    Thankfully, the leading star is not alone. Aaron Ruell takes the role of Napoleon’s brother, Kip. With his finely trimmed mustache, Kip takes great pride in his Internet girlfriend. They chat online for two hours sometimes, but she hasn’t sent her man a “full body shot.” Now, this may be a recycled computer nerd part, but Ruell delivers the potent comic punch with a satisfying blend of goofiness and rigidity.
    But this parade of palookas wouldn’t be complete without Uncle Rico (Jon Gries). Napoleon’s ignorant uncle constantly reminisces about his failed football career and sells unbreakable plastic bowls to make extra cash. Gries pulls off this gritty relative with the tenacity of an inbred mountain man on methamphetamines.
    Essentially, for the first 50 minutes or so, “Dynamite” barely has a plot. It’s scene after scene of meaningless endeavors like Napoleon drawing a liger and some hyper muscleman sensei teaching “Rex Kwon Do.” At some point, the viewer will ask, “Why am I watching this?”
    Then everything takes a turn for the worse. As if school elections haven’t been featured in the last dozen teen flicks, “Dynamite” gives its version. Also, the third act seems like a feel-good commercial featuring Richard Simmons. Instead of seeing a loser perform more loser tasks, a romance angle develops for Napoleon. Oh, a geek falling in love. I’ve never seen that.
    Credit Jared and Jerusha Hess for creating something unordinary. “Dynamite” can be quite pointless and fires comic blanks. Yet this film showcases twins doing sign language and the best tongue-in-cheek dance scene since “Pulp Fiction.” Hopefully, the next time something this strange arrives there won’t be any platitudes from the last boring comedy.
    Undoubtedly, the best extra is “Peluca,” the original short that became “Dynamite.” The commentary track features director Jared Hess and Jon Heder and should provide interest. Of course, watching the MTV promos or “Arrested Development” trailer is less fun than getting your gums scraped with a crowbar, and “Wedding of the Century” details the making of the wedding scene you can see after the film’s closing credits, which is about as lame as a Stargate fan club.