Listen up State football fans

With the approach of another football season upon us here at Mississippi State, there are a few things we fans can and should do to help our team out this year. For all you new freshmen, transfers and just new fans in general, here is a checklist of things for you to know and study.
    1. Wear your colors proudly.
    We as MSU fans have a reason to be proud of our Maroon and White.
    These colors are a legacy of our storied past. While there is no need of going to the extreme as Ole Miss fans do and dress up in suits and ties or dresses and skirts, it is imperative we paint our stadium in a sea of school colors.
    And for you girls out there, this does not include the pink and other bright, neon MSU paraphernalia out there.
    2. Learn the cheers and screaming rants of the MSU faithful.
    We have an obligation to lend our vocal abilities to the team. There are many cheers that we should memorize.
    When it comes to the screaming rants, there will be times for cheering and there will be times of what I like to call “motivational therapy.” It is our duty and obligation to support the team for all that they do well on the gridiron, but I’d be lying if I said it was not our obligation to contribute when the opposite effort is given as well. Just remember not to take it too far.
    3. No matter the outcome, never leave the game early.
    I know we as fans have been through some rough periods of time. We however should not be ashamed to be MSU fans at anytime, and leaving the game early only signifies that we are.
    Full support of our team should be given at all times. Sometimes it takes more than self motivation to get things going. With 60,000 screaming fans behind you, what more motivation could you use.
    4. Maroon is all that matters.
    This item on the list is the most important thing to take heed in. It’s been a sort of creed of MSU fans over the past season and looks to be the same this season as well.
    Regardless of how cheesy it sounds and the more it is made fun of, you can not help but stop and think about how true it honestly is.
    I know some of you right now are thinking, “players have to play the game” and “it’s the coach’s job to get the team prepared for the upcoming game” but the same must be applied for us as fans.
    If you were a player or coach, you would want the support of your peers behind you.
    So remember, starting this Saturday night, make Scott Field a presence in the SEC. Make it a place that rival schools are scared to travel to. Make it more than just a spot on the map.