Citizens express concern over city plan

Starkville landowners and landlords raised worries about zoning and students living in traditional family areas of town at a comprehensive plan workshop Tuesday night at the Greensboro Center.
    “The plan is not meant to change zoning immediately,” Ward 4 Alderman Richard Corey said.
    Officials said that landowners have a right to petition a change in their zoning after several people presented worries about the commercial zoning along the new bypass.
    The other main issue involved larger numbers of people living in zones designated for smaller households. This involves the student population of Starkville who live in more residential areas. The homeowners expressed concern about noise control and litter. Corey explained that following the proposed plan would encourage more uniform development.
    Shelly Johnstone from Johnstone & Associates in Oxford began work on the plan. George Rummel, who has been involved in many other cityplans, finished work on Starkville’s plan.
    Rummel called the plan and the additional proposed land map a philosophy. “It’s what we would like to see,” he said. The Board of Aldermen agreed that it was an ideal that set goals and objectives the city would work toward.
    The proposal is large at 140 pages, but the more important issues are summarized in the beginning. Some of these issues include landscaping for eye-appeal, poor multi-housing quality and students living in single-housing areas.
    It includes suggestions for improving the attractiveness of Starkville such as reducing the number of strip commercial developments. It also suggests requiring new developments to place electrical utilities underground.
    Parking cars on streets in residential areas would be restricted under the proposed plan in order to increase Starkville’s attractiveness.
    Students who live off campus will be affected if the comprehensive plan, which suggests developing student-based housing in more appropriate districts that are closer to campus, is approved.
    Orientation might include a good neighbor workshop for off-campus students if the proposal is passed.
    “The leadership role MSU is taking will shape census results like where they are going to live and for how long,” Rummel said.
    “George Rummel really hopes to integrate the city and the university,” Corey said.
    Corey, who is also a junior computer engineering major at MSU, said the first step after the plan is approved would be to create and enforce ordinances. These ordinances would include regulations on landscaping and signs around Starkville.
    “Ordinances will shape the growth by establishing local laws, and after that comes enforcement,” Corey said.
    A design this extensive is expensive, and a lot will be asked from developers under new restrictions if the plan is approved.
    Corey explained that additional regulations on developers would help lighten the cost elsewhere.
    One landowner expressed his doubts this important task would be done right.
    Mayor Dan Camp said, “We want this to be right. That is why we are here.”
    Students may view the comprehensive plan on the City of Starkville Web site.
    It will be up for approval Oct.18.