Group helps affected employees

The Professional and Support Advisory Council of MSU has begun a drive to help university employees who have been affected by Hurricane Katrina. More than 160 employees reside or work in towns hard-hit by Katrina.
    “We’re going to live in a camper for 12 to 18 months,” assistant research professor Christine Coker said.
    Both she and her husband, Randy, work at the Coastal Research and Extension Center in Biloxi.
    They lost their home and vehicle. They don’t have children, but her sister in Tennessee is keeping their dog, and Randy’s sister is keeping their cat, she said.
    The emergency task force Bulldogs in Response provided immediate care, she said.
    “They told me that whenever we housed ourselves to call them for furnishing,” she said. “But we’ve yet to talk to our insurance adjuster.”
    Coker said that she and Randy will not apply for the short-term relief fund.
    “There’s so many other people in more need than us,” she said. “We’ve been very blessed with friends, family and the task force to help us.”
    Coker performs research in urban horticulture, based at a coastal Army base.
    “Our studies are half ornamental and half vegetable,” she said.
    She also studies nursery mechanization. The Department of Commerce gave the department $1 million, she said.
    Employees who wish to apply must do so by Friday. An anonymous committee will select eligible persons who need temporary money. They must live or work in six specific counties: Hancock, Harrison, Jackson, Pearl River, Stone and George.
    “In their application, they will tell us what types of things they need,” human resources development staff member Juli Rester said. “That way we will know how much money to make and give,” Rester said.
    “The majority of the funds will come from our annual T-shirt sale that we usually have for our staff,” staff member Bill Chapman said. They will sell the shirts Oct. 10-22 on the campus Drill Field, at the Bost Extension Center, and at the vet college.
    “$4 from each sale will go to the relief fund,” Chapman said.
    “It’s important to give to our MSU family,” Rester said. “Our employees’ needs must be met.”
    “We just hope people who need the immediate cash won’t let their pride get in the way and apply,” she added.