Cold beer arrives Monday

The long wait is over. Beginning Monday, convenience and grocery stores in Starkville will sell cold beer.
    The change comes after a 6-to-1 vote by the Board of Aldermen to change an ordinance that previously only allowed restaurants and bars to serve cold beer and wine.
    Starkville police captain over patrol Chris Thomas said Starkville police are not expecting a huge change in drunken driving and other alcohol-related incidents.
    “If they were drinking before, they still will, whether it is hot or cold. It’s just going to more open containers, I’m sure,” Thomas said. “If they buy beer hot, it only takes a few minutes to get it cold.”
    Dan Moreland, owner of Green Oaks Superette on Miss. Highway 12, said his store is prepared to sell cold beer, but he doesn’t expect a huge change in beer sales in the long run.
    “We’ve put in more coolers and are ready for the cold beer sales on the fifth. Nobody will make money off of this because the markup on beer is very small, and I don’t think we will sell any more after the novelty wears off in a few days,” Moreland said.
    “It will just cost more to to refrigerate it. I’d rather it stay like it was; you pack it in there hot and it doesn’t cost you anything to refrigerate it,” he added.
    Junior graphic design major Catherine Yerger said while she thinks having cold drinks is nice, she is concerned about safety issues associated with having cold drinks readily available.
    “I know this is going to make some people really happy. Cold drinks would be awesome any time, but it just makes it so much more tempting to drink and drive. I’m so tired of hearing about drunk driving accidents and people getting hurt or killed as a result,” Yerger said.
    Veterinary student, Brian Maran said selling cold beer is a move in the right direction for Starkville.
    “I’m glad we’re finally picking up with normal times. We’re finally moving away from the ultra-conservative old-school community. It’s about time,” he said.
    “This will not change anything in Starkville,” he added. “Everyone has had beer whenever they wanted it and still will. Drinking will likely go up a bit for the first few weeks just because people want to buy it because they can, but in the end there will be no difference.”
    Businesses in Starkville will still face the same regulations with times alcohol can be served.
    Alcohol cannot be served after midnight Monday through Thursday or after 1 a.m. Friday and Saturday. Alcohol is not available for sale anywhere in Starkville on Sunday.