Drunks: brains left in bottles

For the first time since I’ve been writing for The Reflector, I wish I could use obscenities in my article. I wish the paper could print foul language and four-letter words because I’d like to let some people know exactly how I feel, and swearing seems the only adequate means of communication in this instance. Plus, cursing is probably better suited to the intellectual level of the people to whom this is dedicated. And, yes, that means I’m calling you stupid.
    People of Starkville, you need to learn how to act when you get drunk. Not all of you, but many of you.
    I realize that Bulldog Bash is a big deal. It’s an event and a celebration. It’s natural that people, especially college students, are going to drink during such an occasion. But somewhere along the line it seems that the traditions and mores, e.g. common decency and common sense, governing such an occasion were forgotten. Somehow the signals got crossed, and people suddenly began to believe that they could behave however they want, and then request amnesty on the grounds that they were drunk at the time.
    No.
    You get no leeway because you were drunk. You get no sympathy. You get no empathy. You get nothing.
    Furthermore, who are you? Who are you to feel like you can do anything you want when you’re drunk? And who are you to feel like you can treat people any way you please just because you’re drunk?
    You’re nobody, that’s who. You’re nothing special. And you’re even less special when you’re drunk.
    I’ve been drunk enough times in my life to know that you don’t lose that much control of yourself. Granted, different people have different reactions to alcohol, but the cognitive capacity is still there. You can still think rationally, assuming you want to. But inhibitions come down and people loosen up, and then they start saying what they really want to say and acting how they really want to act.
    People like to use being drunk as a crutch. It’s their blanket excuse to be whoever they want to be. And, apparently, not enough people actually want to be good people. Let me put it another way, if the person you are when you’re drunk is the person you really want to be all the time, then there is an alarmingly large number of people in Starkville who walk around most days restraining themselves from being the complete moron that lives deep inside them.
    Where did all the good people go? What happened to all the happy drunks?
    It seems like so few people want to be friendly when they’re drunk. Everyone wants to be the center of attention, and TV and movies have got them all gassed up, thinking that being cocky and belligerent is somehow cool.
    Doesn’t anyone want to get drunk and meet new people, make new friends or experience something different? Doesn’t anyone want to get drunk and have a good time in his own personal space? Isn’t anyone capable of being humble when they’re drunk?
    I know that when I’m having a good time, it makes my good time that much better to see everyone else having a good time. If someone around me is uncomfortable, even if I don’t know them, that’s going to dampen my spirit a little bit. So the last thing I would want to do when I’m drunk is stress somebody. I’d rather help them get into the groove so we can all party.
    But too many people have this ugly me first attitude. They only worry about themselves and their friends, and everyone else is irrelevant. And if making you uncomfortable will somehow boost their mood a little bit, they don’t care; they’re going to use you.
    Drunk people, mostly dudes, will stress you a number of ways.
    One of their favorites is to put you on the spot. They’ll get your attention through whatever awkward means necessary, say something irrelevant or ridiculous and then stare at you until you answer. But it doesn’t stop there. If your answer isn’t what they wanted to hear, the whole process must be repeated.
    And don’t you dare get caught at work and have to serve drunk people. They don’t care how busy you are; you’re there to serve them. Nobody’s order matters but theirs. And you’re not a real person with real feelings, you’re a robot wrapped in human skin that they can abuse and harass, guilt free, until their needs are satisfied.
    Again, not everyone is like this when they’re drunk. Some people actually become friendlier. Some people have the sense to remember that we all share this world.
    So what causes some people to lose perspective when they’re drunk? Why can some people keep it together and some can’t?
    Well, I’ll share an observation of mine that some of you may not want to hear.
    After years of experience with the drunk people in Starkville, I’ve noticed that the most common offenders, when it comes to acting irrationally, are white boys in expensive polos and new cars, i.e. those with disposable income.
    Now, I’m no frat hater, but I have to call it like I see it. And the people who most commonly step out of line when they’re drunk have frat boy written all over them. Even if they’re not actually in a frat, they share that look.
    To be fair, I have to say that I’ve met plenty of cool frat boys. These are dudes that treat people fairly and thoughtfully. They’re the ones whose parents taught them to be respectful of all others, drunk or not. But the ones who act up make you want to ask, “Couldn’t your folks have bought you some manners with all that money?”
    I get the impression these are the spoiled kids. They grew up unchecked and undisciplined, so when they get drunk they feel like they’re above consequences. To all of them, and to belligerent drunk people everywhere, it’s time to grow up. Don’t let that alcohol fool you into thinking you’re something you’re not.