Turnout down in Senate elections

Between 50 and 55 fewer people voted in this year’s Student Association Senate election than in last year’s election.
    “We wish we would have had more people, but we’re happy with the turnout that we got,” SA elections commissioner Spencer Broocks said.
    However, the number of candidates running for seats was up from last year.
    “I would say there were probably 80 to 85 people who ran last year, and this year we have around 100, so it was definitely progressive,” SA vice president Cory Carter said.
    A run-off election for the Hathorne Hall seat will be held Tuesday from 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. in one of Hathorne Hall’s study rooms, Broocks said.
    “It was just about getting your name out there and talking to people and grassroots campaigning,” newly-elected day student Senator T.J. Harvey said.
    Issues he expects to deal with during his term include parking, basketball tickets and student safety. He also wants to develop dual-degree programs.
    Newly elected senators will attend a retreat Sunday at 2 p.m. during which they will get to know each other and senatorial procedures. They will also talk about issues they will face during the year and get their committee assignments, Carter said.