O.A.R. takes Memphis by storm

Rock sensation O.A.R. (Of A Revolution) is scheduled to perform at the Orpheum Theatre in Memphis Oct. 14.
    O.A.R. has six albums out with 850,000 in record sales. Rick Welch, owner of Rick’s Caf‹¨, has been promoting the concert to MSU students.
    “The timing of the O.A.R. concert in Memphis is great for MSU students because it’s during Fall Break,” he said. “I always try to promote the bands that are coming here, but I also like to let people know about great live concerts that are happening in our area.”
    O.A.R. has just released a new album, which they are promoting through their tour.
    “The show is going to be a lot of fun,” O.A.R. bass guitarist Benj Gershman said. “We are going to play a lot of new stuff and a lot of old stuff.”
    Gershman believes that the key to a successful live performance is definitely the fans’ reactions.
    “I would say the energy of the crowd fuels what we do live,” he said. “It is definitely a two-way street. We don’t feel like we are putting on a show; we are reacting to the audience and they are reacting to us.”
    Over the years, O.A.R. has built a large fan base due to their music integrity.
    “Over time, we have kept in touch with our fans, and that shows a lot to why there is still everything going,” Gershman said. “I think we invent an integrity for what we do, and that is part of the fire.”
    One way O.A.R. keeps in touch with their fans is through www.myspace.com. Fans can add them to their friends list and post comments on their page or send them messages. There is even a contest on O.A.R.’s myspace that gives free tickets and an invitation to the soundcheck party before the concert to the winner.
    O.A.R. started in Ohio as a frat band before John Alagia, who is also the producer for Dave Matthews Band, signed the guys on to start recording in the summer of 2000. The band even toured with Dave Matthews Band in 2004.
    Gershman said that even after all of the band’s success, the members of O.A.R. still maintain great relationships with each other. Gershman added that this quality is also something that gives O.A.R. a little bit of its edge.
    “I remember hearing O.A.R. a long time ago. I finally get a chance to see them in Memphis, and I am really excited,” senior Robin Leard said.
    Reserved tickets for the event are available at ticketmaster for $25. Doors will open at 7 p.m. For more information on tickets and the band visit www.ofarevolution.com.