Rudy inspires all

“It’s not about power. It’s not about status. It’s not about how much money you have. It’s about believing in yourself,” Rudy Ruettiger said.
    In 1971 Rudy Ruettiger enrolled in Holy Cross junior college as he tried to gain admission to the University of Notre Dame, with the ultimate goal of playing football for college, a life long dream. Rudy’s story is familiar to not only the Irish of South Bend, Indiana and football fans, but for most of us who have seen the 1993 movie about his heroic feat in gaining admittance to a school with academic requirements he seemingly could not meet and to a team that he physically did not match. However, Rudy proved to everyone, his professors, coaches, teammates, family and everyone he met along his journey that nothing is impossible.
    Rudy had a lot of obstacles to overcome before realizing his dream of suiting up in the gold and blue and running out into Knute Rockne Stadium. Once in junior college, he struggled with all of his classes and was eventually diagnosed with dyslexia. Still, he studied for hours each day and worked in a janitorial position at the Notre Dame football field to keep his dream afloat.
    His fierce resolve paid off in 1974. After three failed attempts, he finally gained acceptance to the University of Notre Dame. Of course, Rudy’s ultimate goal was to play on his school’s prestigious football team, and after allowing himself to be brutalized during tryouts, Rudy got one step closer to his goal by earning a place on the scout team. His presence even in the position that he was in was enough for Rudy to earn the respect and admiration of his teammates and coaches.
    Having never missed a practice and with the esteem of all of his teammates, Rudy finally took the field during the final minute of his team’s last home game against Georgia Tech. His first and final play of his college career resulted in the sacking of Georgia Tech’s quarterback and a victorious procession as his teammates carried him off the field, a gesture that has not been repeated since.
    The real Rudy Ruettiger continues to inspire people today through his many talks and appearances at hundreds of schools each year.
    But why am I retelling the story of the famed underdog now? With Thanksgiving right around the corner, it is almost impossible not to think about how much we really have to be thankful for. I realized this year more so than any other that I really appreciate the people who have the right attitude and who consistently display the “Rudy” character. These people are natural motivators by their actions and encourage us to persevere because they do so in spite of any hindrances and without complaining or needing sympathy from anyone.
    I have so much respect for my mother who has not let divorce, desertion, betrayal, death of a loved one or any other thing she has had to face stop her from taking care of her family and doing it with dignity and a cheerful spirit. My mother reminds me every day that strength and perseverance through faith can lead you through any obstacle.
    I am also thankful for all my friends and teammates, namely the “Lizzie Grubes” and “Annie Falors” of the world, who keep me in check by being steady and consistent, never stopping to feel sorry for themselves or not using their many painful injuries, sicknesses or other setbacks as excuses for sub par performances. Although some of us are naturally more advantaged than others, the Rudy people remind us that there is no excuse to not give our full effort or use what we don’t have as an excuse for what we can’t get.
    What is it that drives the people bearing this character to such heights of human endurance and achievement? Maybe it’s their innate desire for purpose, to always strive toward some goal. Perhaps it is their idealism-that through hard work and relentless determination any goal is attainable. Or maybe it’s because they understand better than anyone that we have a reservoir of strength and will in us that to the best of our knowledge has never been fully exhausted.
    Secondly, people with the Rudy character are striving for something greater than themselves. In Rudy’s case it was the grand and sacred tradition of the Fighting Irish football team.
    The Rudy character is expressed well by former president Teddy Roosevelt, who led America through a time of great change during the early part of the twentieth century. He said, “The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, who strives valiantly; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause, who at best, knows the triumph of high achievement; and who, at the worst, if he fails at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.”
    Thank goodness for the Rudy people, for they are who we truly should aspire to resemble.