Croom continues to clean house: dismisses Williams

Sylvester Croom isn’t finished ridding the Mississippi State football program of the problems that former head coach Jackie Sherrill left in his wake.
    Strong safety Darren Williams became the latest victim of Sylvester Croom’s harsh disciplinary tactics when he was excused from the football team earlier this week for violating team rules.
    “Darren came to me and told me he was contemplating entering the NFL Draft,” Croom told The Clarion Ledger. “During that time, while he was deliberating, he violated some team rules. Now, he will not be playing for us this fall.”
    Croom did not say what the violation was and had no further comment.
    Since he has yet to take his redshirt year, Williams is allowed to transfer to any Division 1-AA or Division II school without sitting out a year, something he would be forced to do if he chooses to transfer to another Division 1 college.
    Williams was ranked the No. 4 defensive back in the country following his senior year of high school and led the Bulldogs in interceptions this past season with four. His 63 tackles last season placed him third on the team.
    “Darren is a guy that is well thought of by everybody on our team and a guy that was a good player for us,” secondary coach Shane Beamer said after hearing his best defensive back would not be returning next season. “That’s a big void from a talent and leadership stand point. We’re going to be young in the secondary next year.”
    The Clarksdale native played in all 11 games for State this past season, registering eight starts. Prior to the 2004 season, the 6-foot-2, 209-pound junior played in 21 games and started 16 of those, accumulating 123 tackles and three interceptions.
    “We want the best for Darren and he needs to do what’s best for himself as well,” Beamer added.
    Williams is the second Bulldog starter to be dismissed from the team in the past couple of weeks. Offensive tackle Richard Burch, another Sherrill recruit, was suspended from the team on Jan. 25 after being arrested the night before for the alleged selling of marijuana.
    Backup offensive linemen David Price left the team on his own this past week. Price, who ranked as high as the number 15th offensive tackle in the nation out of high school, never set foot in a game for the Bulldogs.
    He set out his true freshman season as a redshirt and did not see any playing time this past season as a redshirt freshman. Price, who also was recruited by Sherrill, told The Clarion Ledger that he saw no playing time in his future at State and would be transferring to Middle Tennessee State.
    Croom disposed of other likely starters for disciplinary reasons before the season even began.
    Nick Turner was dismissed from the team before spring drills kicked off after failing to attend class, along with other violations. In a statement, Croom said Turner “has not met the expectation level we have for a Mississippi State football-playing student-athlete.”
    Projected starting receiver Antonio Hargro and defensive back Eric Fuller were both cut from the team for violating team rules.
    “Our guys know the situation,” Beamer said about the recent chain of dismissals on the team. “We don’t have a lot of rules, but the one’s we have are pretty clear cut. You’re either buying into the program or you’re not.”