Bible about morality, not science

“Do not rebuke a mocker or he will hate you; rebuke a wise man and he will love you.” (NIV, Proverbs 9:8). My response to Kellee Usher’s Feb. 1 letter to the editor is that she is right. Intelligent design theory may be just as viable as any other scientific theory.
    Culturally, however, it only adds to this old, ongoing debate between science and religion. For every point made there can be an equally compelling counterpoint.
    Scientifically, some people will argue that an eternally existing creator is the only explanation for the singularity talked about in the big bang theory.
    But the scientific argument for the big bang is why can’t the universe be eternally cycling as it expands and collapses upon itself?
    In the context of science, an always existing universe is just as possible as a temporary one created by an eternal intelligence.
    To clarify and reiterate the message of my Jan. 26 letter, as a Christian, I do not believe that the validity of my faith hinges on its plausibility within the science of the moment.
    Sure, there is a relationship between science and religion, but not one that should inspire the type of fear and confusion that is so prevalent in our history.
    I think too much thought and time is given to trying to make the two relate cohesively, especially in the Christian faith.
    Whether it manifests itself in the practice of reinterpreting the time scale spoken about in the book of Genesis, or in trying to figure out if dinosaurs are mentioned somewhere in the Bible, or in pushing only scientific theories that support our system of beliefs, I think we are wasting our energy on (forgive me) not-so important issues.
    Philosophical and theological issues like this are to blame for the divisions an denominations existing in our faith today.
    I think the reason why so little of the Bible is dedicated to things like the creation story and the history of how things came to be is that we are supposed to get the main idea:
    Yes, God created the Earth, but there were more important (or at least more pressing) ideas for God to communicate to us in his book.
    Most of the Bible, in addition to the Gospel story, is full of lessons on how to live our daily lives. When Jesus Christ was asked what the greatest of all the commandments was he said, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these.” (NIV, Mark 12:28-31).
    The times in my life when I have felt the realness of God the most have been through the love of others. This realization of God’s presence has nothing to do with how much physical evidence there is that he exists.
    It is this personal truth that causes me to shake my head every time a new scientific or theological debate comes up. Even one of the greatest thinkers of all time, Einstein said “Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile.”
    So, if anyone is searching for meaning in their life, I think it is apparent that it is not found in our origins but rather in the relationships we can enjoy with God and with each other.
    Arguments over our existence will continue to divide us, but there is no counterpoint for displaying love.
    The love of God and showing love for each other is what binds us in faith, and I think the deepest of truths lies in that.
    Jay Everett is a senior landscape architecture major.