Mixed weekend for netters: Ladies win, men lose

Both nationally ranked Bulldog tennis teams played the role of hosts this past weekend-a weekend that yielded mixed results. The two teams are well on their way to rewriting the record books as they near the end of the regular seasons.
    On Friday, the 23rd ranked Lady Netters defeated 62nd ranked SEC adversary Arkansas Razorbacks 4-0 as they closed out their final home match of the season indoors at the McCarthy Gymnasium.
    With the win, the Lady Netters improved to 10-3 overall and 4-3 in the SEC.
    Twentieth ranked pair Zsuzsanna Fodor and Anastasia Kugakolova set the tone early by defeating Melissa Cornett and Vlatka Jovanovic at the first position 8-4. With the win, the pair now improves their consecutive win streak to six games.
    In her final home match of her career senior Magdi Rekasi performed memorably as she helped the Lady Netters claim the first point of the contest. Along with freshman Polina Kokoulina, the duo downed Audrey Bordeleau and Iliana Pacheco 9-7 in an epic battle at the third spot.
    Junior Anastasia Kugakolova said the team’s cohesiveness and chemistry is very instrumental to the success of the Lady Netters.
    “We knew going in that anything could happen, but we were ready to compete,” Kugakolova said.
    Earlier in the year both head coach Tracy Lane and assistant coach Rene Vidal said that this cohesiveness and chemistry are byproducts of the team’s willingness and dedication to improve during the year, but more importantly during the off-season.
    In singles, 21st ranked Fodor quickly disposed of Jovanovic 6-4, 6-0, at the first position. With the win Fodor moves into a tie with Andrea Lord for the most singles victories in a season with 31.
    Sophomore Tarryn Rudman sealed the victory as she defeated Karina Ledaja 6-3, 7-5 at the third spot. Freshman Renee Joseph’s match against 80th ranked Maryori Franco was suspended, with Joseph leading 3-2.
    Next, the Lady Netters travel to take on the ninth ranked Florida Gators on Friday and 24th ranked South Carolina Gamecocks on Sunday.
    Meanwhile, the MSU Netmen started out slowly as the LSU Tigers claimed the first three points of the contest to pull out a 4-3 victory over 14th ranked State at the A.J. Pitts Tennis Centre on Sunday. With the loss the Netmen fall to 11-5 overall and 6-2 in SEC play.
    Going into the match, Bulldog head coach Sylvain Guichard was well aware of the threat the Tigers posed. “LSU is just another example of how deep the SEC is. They have been ranked in the top 10 this season,” he said. “I know it’s becoming an old saying from me, but we will have to be extremely prepared for this match.”
    In the defeat there were a few bright moments for the Bulldogs.
    Freshman Pierre Mouillon claimed his ninth consecutive victory with an upset victory over 83rd ranked Jason Hazley 7-6(3), 1-6, 1-0(8) at the fourth position.
    Mouillon said that he feels confident that team is capable of bouncing back from adversity as they strive towards bigger and better things in the remaining games to come.
    The keys to bouncing back, according to freshman Philippe Frayssinoux and junior Florent Girod, are committed efforts to practicing hard and the continued support of one another.
    At the first position sophomore Ivan Bjelica rallied from one set down to upset 84th ranked Mark Growcott 2-6, 6-4, 7-6(1).
    The Nettmen will host 9th ranked Florida Gators on Friday, at 2 p.m. and 34th ranked South Carolina Gamecocks Sunday at 1 p.m. as a part of Super Bulldog Weekend festivities at the A.J. Pitts Tennis Centre.