Forgetting is a good thing

Do you remember your first grade teacher’s name? How about the counties of Mississippi or the American presidents?
    Sometimes it’s an accomplishment to simply remember where you’ve put your keys.
    Experts say that everything we do is based on our memories-our experiences and aspirations. Memories are who we are.
    According to a recent report by CNN, Americans’ struggles with memory loss may be getting worse and worse, particularly as life experiences increase.
    Memory loss seems to worry many people. Obviously, your memory must be bad if you can’t recollect the date you went on yesterday, such as in “50 First Dates.” But there are times when forgetting is good.
    On of my favorite literary characters, Sherlock Holmes, compared the human brain to an attic. He believed that one can only store a certain amount of information and that there is no need for anybody to remember everything.
    This led him to memorize the criminal history of London, while he had no idea that the Earth revolves around the Sun.
    Nowadays you can easily store tons of information in your computer. With a simple combination of pushing buttons or mouse clicks you can get whatever you need. The only thing about computers is that they tend to malfunction at the worst times.
    Unlike a computer, your memory is not simple data storage. It is a combination of perception, knowledge and emotions. Everybody remembers those times that are special to them, and memories laden emotion are the ones you’ll never forget.
    It could be a sunny day when your dad took you fishing or the first sight of your soul mate. Those are things you don’t forget because it is part of your personality.
    Yet forgetting things still plays an enormous positive role in your life.
    As long as it is not your anniversary or a job interview, forgetting works for the better.
    According to the Chinese philosophy Feng-Shui, one should get rid not only of old unnecessary things in decorating but also old memories as well.
    For instance, as long as your past negative experience of a relationship with your ex is still living in your head, you will never build new relationships.
    Another good aspect of forgetting becomes apparent when you’re trying to deal with all unnecessary data of the modern world.
    Do you still remember everything you watched on TV in the last decade? Doesn’t it make you feel like a trash can? Free yourself from the useless information.
    Britney Spears dyed her hair dark? Forget about it. It doesn’t make her look better anyway. Your ex-boyfriend found another girlfriend? Forget about it. This one won’t last long either.
    Life is change, and it changes every moment. Filter the information you receive. Only remember it if it’s significant to you personally or professionally. If not, let it go.
    The best solution would be to find a balance between not repeating your past mistakes and not beating yourself up for your negative experience. Work on your failures, improve your personality and always remember the good times.
    Milana Karayanidi is a freshman in international business. She can be reached at [email protected].