Religion clouds real issues

As the close of the 2005 regular session neared, Mississippi legislators took a break from budget worries to discuss a bill that would place the Ten Commandments and other religious documents in public buildings throughout the state.
    The bill passed overwhelmingly, receiving little opposition from either the House or the Senate.
    Although at first glance, the placement of the Ten Commandments, Beatitudes, the Decalogue and “In God We Trust” in public buildings may seem like a good idea, it does cause a problem.
    The debate over placing religious documents on public property is not exactly a new one; however, only a few states have attempted to claim that they can legally display these documents.
    There are legal concerns, such as the question of if the placement of religious documents in public building will violate separation of church and state.
    Yet even more ambiguous than the legalities behind the situation are the motives behind passing the bill and the timing of the bill’s appearance.
    Perhaps the bill could be an attempt to reacquaint citizens with important Biblical principles that are also part of the state and national constitutions.
    If this isn’t the case, then what other reasons could lawmakers have for developing this bill?
    It seems like this is a brave attempt to recapture the faith of Mississippians during a time in which many have good reason to be concerned about the goings-on in the Capitol.
    With state-funded health care in jeopardy, education continuously facing funding cuts and the lack of an acceptable budget, the state legislature hasn’t exactly been in good favor with many Mississippians. When all else fails, why not turn to religion to woo back the trust of the citizens?
    After all, we are talking about a state located conveniently in the “Bible Belt,” where one thing is sure to unite the majority of people in the state at any given time-religious discussion.
    Although Mississippians will be ready to defend this bill when it is challenged by non-Christians or strong supporters of the separation of church and state, it is not likely to blind all Mississippians from the problems the state is facing and will continue to face until lawmakers actually solve the problems.
    Even if the bill receives overwhelming support from state residents, it cannot be expected to be very effective in getting religious documents into public buildings until the U.S. Supreme Court gives its final say on similar bills that have been contested in Texas and Kentucky.
    Perhaps lawmakers just wanted to be sure that Mississippi was one of the first states to boast religious decorations in case the Supreme Court decides to support the practice.
    Even if we overlook the controversy regarding the constitutionality of the bill, there are other concerns that need to be addressed.
    Since its birth, the United States has been viewed as a place where Jews, Christians, Muslims and followers of any other religion are supposed to be able to celebrate their beliefs in harmony.
    While placement of documents containing Christian doctrines doesn’t necessarily threaten believers of other religions, expressing the beliefs of only one religion does not properly represent the religious diversity that exists in the United States.
    Granted, the United States was founded upon principles of Christianity, but the Ten Commandments and Jesus’ Sermon on the Mount cannot be found in the Constitutions of the nation or our state.
    Obviously, one should avoid killing, stealing and committing adultery, but beyond these three Commandments-turned-laws, there are not many Christian documents translated into U.S. or Mississippi laws.
    Perhaps the only one of the objects that should be allowed in public buildings is “In God We Trust.”
    Even though the God referred to is indeed the Christian deity, this phrase is more of a national motto than a religious reading.
    Claiming this to be unconstitutional would set off a seemingly endless series of changes to national and state artifacts and laws that have been in effect for hundreds of years, which would be changing history that is not in need of changing.
    Regardless of whether this bill is found to be constitutional or legislators reveal their true reason for creating the bill, one thing is certain.
    Our state is going to need more than religious documents hanging on the walls of high schools and county courthouses to get out of its current slump.
    Mississippi legislators need to concentrate their efforts on the issues that could make or break for the future of the state instead of occupying their time with a bill that may never even have the chance to go into effect.
    Michael Robert is a freshman biological science major. He can be reached at [email protected].