Ellis says ‘no’ to State, ‘yes’ to NBA

Like receiving a present on Christmas Day, it was no surprise Monta Ellis declared for the NBA draft Monday.
    Ellis, a 6-foot-2, 160-pound scoring guard from Jackson, told ESPN.com that he would be entering the draft.
    “This has always been a dream of mine,” Ellis told the site. “This is the best move for me to put my name in the draft.”
    Ellis also told ESPN.com that he informed the Bulldogs of the possibility of this happening throughout the year.
    Mississippi State associate athletic director Mike Nemeth said if Ellis doesn’t sign with an agent he could actually go through the draft, get picked and then decide to come to State. Although, that is unlikely since Ellis told ESPN.com that he is currently interviewing agents.
    Head coach Rick Stansbury, who did not return a phone call, told the site he is still hoping Ellis doesn’t sign with an agent.
    Ellis joins three other high school players who have bypassed college and officially declared for the draft.
    Those players include Oklahoma State signee Gerald Green, unsigned Andray Blatche of South Kent Prep School (Conn.) and Memphis signee Shawne Williams.
    Ellis is ranked as the No. 2 shooting guard and the No. 3 overall player in the nation by Rivals.com.
    About.com, in their NBA mock draft, projects Ellis as the No. 22 overall pick.
    Ellis’ decision comes in the midst of a tumultuous week for the Mississippi State basketball program.
    Charles Rhodes announced this weekend that he will transfer from the school (below article).
    Another freshman, Walter Sharpe, also said this weekend that the possibility of his leaving the team was good.
    The futures of Gary Ervin and Jerrell Houston are still hazy.