Long Range Program Of Expansion Planned

Following on the heels of the recently completed girls dormitory, Cresswell Hall, Mississippi State University has four new buildings in the works.

The Union, nearing completion, a new boys’ dormitory now under construction, a new infirmary recently contracted, and an Agriculture-Forestry building soon to be bid on, are all part of MSU’s vast expansion program for the future.

Leading the way is the Union, a three story structure which will become the center of student activity once it is completed. With a total of 90,000 square feet, the building will house a bookstore, a game room, a twelve chair barber shop, a TV Lounge, a hobby room, a photo lab, a large snack bar, the Reflector, Reveille. and Student Association offices, as well as many other features designed with the student in mind.

Although much difficulty has been encountered, the Union is expected to be ready for occupancy by late this semester.

Now under construction is a new boys dormitory behind Butler dorm. This eight hundred thousand dollar building will have 144 rooms, housing two boys to a room.

Constructed in quadrangle fashion, this dormitory will feature complete air conditioning, exterior hallways, large built-in wardrobes and desks, and rooms arranged in suites of four, with all four rooms sharing common bath facilities.

Recently contracted was the new Student Health Center. This three hundred and seventy-five thousand dollar building will house the infirmary. A three story structure, it will be located directly east of the Hand Chemical Laboratories and south of the railroad tracks.

According to Dr. John C. Longest, the infirmary will have a thirty bed hospital, nurses on duty 24 hours a day, a physical therapy ward, and other expanded facilities.

To be built on the present baseball field will be the three story Agriculture Forestry building. This $1,925,000 structure will be the largest building on campus once it is constructed.

Although most of the space will be devoted to laboratories, it will also contain several classrooms.