Music Makers to host Rae Sremmurd

Rae Sremmurd, a hip-hop duo from Tupelo, will be headlining a concert hosted by Music Maker Productions at the Mississippi Horse Park on Feb. 25. Doors will open at 7 p.m. and the concert will begin at 8 p.m.
Chase Williams, ticketing chair for Music Maker Productions, said students should buy tickets now. They can be purchased in Union suite 314, the Music Maker ticket booth on the first floor of the Union, or online at www.msuconcerts.com.
“We want to encourage students to get their tickets as soon as possible so that they can get them the cheapest,” Williams said. 
Tickets will be $20 until Monday. They will increase to $25 and then to $30 at the door. One discounted ticket and one regular-priced ticket may be purchased per student. 
There will be plenty of parking on site, but free shuttles will also be available at the union, fraternity row and the Cotton District to take students to the horse park.
Williams said he is ecstatic to have the first hip-hop act in Starkville since 2013 and he wants students to share in his excitement. 
“Last time, Two Chainz sold out and that is what we are looking for this time,” Williams said. “We want to have everyone packed in, energetic, super positive vibes.”
The hip-hop group is made up of brothers Khalif “Swae Lee” Brown and Aaquil “Slim Jxmmi” Brown. The group’s name, Rae Sremmurd, is the phrase “ear drummers” read backwards. 
According to raesremmurd.com, the brothers were born in California, but moved to Tupelo. at an early age, where they were raised in the notorious Ida Street housing projects; some of the worst, most crime-ridden in the state.
The duo’s debut album, titled “SremmLife” (EarDrummers Entertainment and Interscope Records), include the hit singles “No Type” and “Come Get Her,” was released last January. During 2015, the album peaked at No. 5 on the U.S. Billboard 200 list. They were also nominated for one Billboard Music award as well as three BET awards. The group won the BET award for Best Group in 2015.
Senior public relations major, David Daniels, said he looks forward to attending the concert.
“I’m pretty pumped about Rae Sremmurd,” Daniels said. “As a big fan ,I’ve been hoping for an opportunity to see them perform in Starkville. I’m glad Music Maker was able to make it happen.”
In addition to Rae Sremmurd, Music Maker Production’s publicity chair Alex Coats said in the next few weeks they will be announcing some noteworthy opening acts that he hopes the student body will enjoy. 
“We are working on putting together some great openers, so it is not going to be just Rae Sremmurd,” Coats said. “We want students to come out and have a great time, really enjoy, you know, being together and having a good time. That’s really what we are all about, is providing students with a memorable concert experience.”
For more information follow @music_maker on Twitter, @msump on Instagram, or visit msuconcerts.com.