Changes to stadium policy: what you need to know for gameday

Every fall, the Mississippi State junction floods with maroon and white as the fans get ready to cheer on their Dawgs. Tents pop up and people crowd beneath, awaiting the game and enjoying their friends. As the Dawgs play South Alabama this Saturday, football season will be officially upon us.

A new season, however, brings new rules. According to the Mississippi State website, the university is implementing a clear bag policy. This policy is consistent with the NFL’s current model and is also going into affect at other SEC schools for the fall of 2016 including, Alabama, Auburn, Texas A&M, Tennessee, Florida and LSU.

The clear bag policy has been adopted in the effort to speed up the entry process and keep the stadium safer. The clear bags may not exceed 12” x 6” x 12”, or a gallon-size Ziploc bag. 

Aside from one clear bag, fans will be allowed to bring a small clutch purse, not exceeding 4.5” x 6.5”. Seat cushions are only permissible if they do not have pockets, zippers, storage compartments, armrests or covers.

As students and fans adapt to the new rules, they can find comfort in a tradition that never changes, tailgating.

Madison Deatherage, junior biology pre-nursing major at MSU, said her favorite thing about Mississippi State football is tailgating. 

“I like to walk around the junction and visit the tailgates every game. I love the variety of people and food,” Deatherage said. “It’s such a cool thing to do because regardless of our differences, or whether or not I know anyone at the tailgate, we are all bonded by MSU football. And in my 3 years at State, I have yet to meet a stranger beneath a white or maroon tent.” 

Many associations hold tailgates open to the public with great food and music. The Student Association, the Wesley and the Communications department are just a few groups underneath the hundreds of tents lining MSU campus. 

The Collegiate Recovery Community is one of the many organizations that gather to celebrate the Dawgs. They hold a sober tailgate before every home game. Located in front of Magnolia residence hall, beside the Veteran’s Affairs building, the CRC provides a place for people in recovery to get the full college experience. 

Conrad Freeman, president of the CRC and MSAS, said that he loves the tailgate. They have a television inside and outside, and there is always someone playing corn hole. He said the free food and the friendly people make for a great time.

“The food is great, the music is awesome and the fellowship with other guys and gals in recovery is fantastic,” Conrad said. “And, the best part is, it’s all done while we are sober. It truly doesn’t get any better than that.”

The tents pop up just as quickly as they come down, and football season comes and goes in the blink of an eye. As the Bulldog family grows, so does the tradition of tailgating.