Miss MSU: Haley Hobart

Russ Houston

Haley Hobart was named Miss MSU 2016.

Haley Hobart said she was shocked when she was named Miss MSU.
“When they announced my name, everything felt so surreal,” Hobart said, a semopr biochemistry major from Hollandale, Mississippi. “My parents surprised me by coming to the announcement ceremony, and that in itself was enough to make me cry. All of my friends were there surrounding me and hugging me. I was shaking with excitement.”
Hobart said she had so many great people with her throughout the entire process and she is more than grateful for that.
“My favorite part of this experience is definitely all the support I’ve been given by my friends and family,” Hobart said. “I have been overwhelmed by so many kind words of encouragement. Being able to represent my university – a place that is so special to me – as Miss MSU is an opportunity that I am so thankful for, and it will always be considered one of my favorite honors.”
Two of Hobart’s closest friends, Molly McAdams, senior animal and dairy sciences major, and Alison Cowart, senior interior design major, are more than happy for her, and they know she will do great things with her new position. 
McAdams said  Hobart is a hard worker and leader.
“I would describe Haley as intentional, kind-hearted, and driven,” McAdams said. “Anyone who knows Haley knows what a hard worker she is, not only in her studies but as a leader and member of the community. Miss MSU was an honor she truly deserved, and we enjoyed getting to see her hard work pay off in this way. 
Through the entire process, Haley was so humble and completely herself. I’m glad other people got to meet her and see this for themselves through the election.”
Cowart also spoke highly of Hobart. She said Hobart sets a perfect example of the phrase “True Maroon.”
“The best part of seeing Haley win Miss MSU was her humble spirit,” Cowart said. “With tear-filled eyes, she had nothing but ‘thank you’s’ to be said. It was so evident how honored and excited she was to represent the university that she cherishes so much.”
Cowart said she hopes Haley’s love for her university will inspire others as she embarks on this journey.
“I’m hoping that Haley’s passion and desire to serve MSU will inspire other students on campus to get involved and give back,” Cowart said. “Haley truly considers MSU a home away from home. She spends her holiday breaks at MSU baseball games, her summer serving at MSU orientation, and every day in between radiating bulldog pride.” 
Hobart said if she could give future candidates any advice, it would be to keep a humble heart and remember all the candidates on the ballot are more than qualified for the position. She said they should have fun, and use the experience as an opportunity to meet students they never would have come in to contact with otherwise.
Hobart said she will be attending medical school at the University of Mississippi Medical Center in Jackson, MS in the fall of 2017.