J. Broussard’s delights customers with every course

J.Broussards
Connor Guyton
J.Broussard’s

In the old Elk’s Lodge of Downtown Columbus, is J. Broussard’s, home of New Orleans Style Cuisine and a dining experience rivaled by none in the Golden Triangle Region.

The family owned and operated restaurant opened in 2001, when the late Chef Joseph Broussard took the opportunity to keep Columbus classy. The restaurant has continued to thrive with daughter Beth Rogers at the helm. 

Rogers, a graduate of Mississippi State University, has been working at the restaurant since her father started it and eventually worked her way up from a waitress to the chef of one of the best restaurants in the area. 

“We take the utmost care in assuring that we put equal thought and effort into each course we prepare for you. All of our dishes are prepared thoughtfully, “from scratch,” and with fresh local ingredients when possible,” Rogers said. “Each dish has a story. When you eat with us you are not just dining out, you’re becoming part of our family. We are feeding you the same food we feed our families, the food we love, the food of our soul.”

The food at J. Broussard’s, while divine, might be a bit pricey for the average student. However, the restaurant occasionally posts giveaways and free dessert coupons on their public Instagram account, @j._broussards_restaurant. 

The chef recommends the restaurant’s shrimp and grits—featuring fresh Gulf shrimp, sausage, peppers and onions over roasted poblano and cheddar grits. 

In addition to their regular menu, J. Broussard’s occasionally has farmers’ market, and special event dinners.

This is the fourth year of the Halloween for Grownups, a specialty dessert dinner of seasonal treats, at the restaurant. For $40 a person, Chef Rogers pieces together a multi-course dinner of sweets. The Halloween for Grownups has had tremendous success, and is one of the few times a year the restaurant takes reservations. While that may sound slightly problematic for those hoping to get in, the restaurant normally does not have a wait. 

The busiest time of year is around Christmas, where the line can wait for an hour at most, and Friday nights. However, there is almost never a wait on any given weekday, and Rogers recommends visiting the restaurant at game time, when the majority of the area is watching the game.

The restaurant is open Tuesday through Saturday from 5:30 p.m. until it ends. There will be four more specialty event meals this year:  Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Family Style Christmas Brunch, and New Year’s Eve. All of the previous events are $50 a person and reservations are required. 

Unlike the Halloween meal, the other specialty event meals will feature three to four courses of appetizers, entrees and desserts. 

All the meals are prepared by Rogers and one sous chef. There are no other cooks in the kitchen. J. Broussard’s is one of the only places where the owner is personally making every dish. 

When asked what Rogers would like readers of The Reflector to know, she had a real answer.

“A little over ten years ago I was right where they (MSU students) are.  Taking ceramics, western civilizations, cultural anthropology and trying to figure out my life,” Rogers said. “I explored so many passions. I started cooking for my classmates and professors, bringing eclairs and tarts to school and found that cooking was the one passion I couldn’t live without.  This was before being a chef was trendy.”

The restaurant’s website is http://jbroussards.com/. Come in to the restaurant for a lovely evening, brought to you by Chef Rogers, another success story from MSU.