Table welcomes strangers

Kayleigh Phillips | The Reflector

Students enjoy eating lunch with new people at the Bulldog Table.  If the Bulldog Table is successful, it will be turned into a permanent table for students to freely eat at.

One day, as Michael Poole walked around the Union, looking for somebody he knew to eat with, he realized that a single person occupied many of the tables in the Union.  
Although some may want to eat alone, others, like him, simply did not have anyone to sit with and would love to eat lunch with somebody new. Hence, the Bulldog Table was born–or at least the idea of it.  
Instead of taking the chance of intruding upon someone’s moment of solitude, this table now provides an opportunity for those who want someone to eat with, a place to congregate.  
The Bulldog Table is essentially a community table within the dining area of the Student Union.  It is a table set aside for meeting new people and making a new friend from the experience.
Student Association President Roxie Raven said she is also in full support of The Bulldog Table.
“To me, the Bulldog Table represents one of SA’s main goals: bringing our Bulldog family closer and making sure everyone feels at home,” Raven said.  
Raven’s role in the Bulldog Table is to help promote it to students, choosing to do so for the success of Freshmen Council’s idea and for the continuation of other creative ideas to get students engaged on campus. She chose to support it because it allows people to come together in a safe place to meet others and to feel at home on campus.  
“Students should participate in the Bulldog Table to gain fellowship with their peers and get to expand their comfort zone by meeting people different than themselves,” Raven said.  
 The Bulldog Table is in a trial run this week.  It will have a table set aside on the center stage of the Union and will be marked by maroon and white balloons and laminated placemats.  The placemats will say “The Bulldog Table,” and include the instructions, “Sit here to eat with someone new.  Sit here to make someone new into a friend.”  
There will also be a large sign hanging up to further attract attention.  The group invites all students to get involved and try it out during one of their meal times.   
Poole said he is looking for success with the table.
“If it goes well, this could turn into a permanent table, and an excellent Mississippi State tradition,” Poole said.
According to Poole, the Bulldog Table is an excellent tool for further community building at MSU. He said seeing as MSU is known for how friendly and welcoming our student body is, this could enhance that even more and bring people together that normally wouldn’t get a chance to interact.  
Poole said he also believes this table could be a huge asset for recruiting more students by having Roadrunners or Maroon VIP members point out the Bulldog Table on tours.  He said this could be a big push for students to come here and an obvious landmark indicative of the culture we hold so dear at MSU.  
“Beyond all that, I encourage the student body to participate for the experience,” Poole said. “The more participants we have, the better the Bulldog Table experience will be.”