A Night with Christy Pickering: discussing abusive relationships

The Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life along with The Center for Student Activities is hosting “Girl You Deserve Better: A Night with Christy Pickering” in Lee Hall’s Bettersworth Auditorium at 6 p.m.

Christy Pickering will share her story about being in an abusive relationship and how she found happiness. Pickering is an IHL Board Member, who was appointed to the Board by Governor Haley Barbour in May of 2008. She currently represents the Second Supreme Court District.

Jacqueline Mullen, director of the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life and Student Activities, said she is excited to have Pickering speak to the public about her experience and what she had to endure to get to where she is today.

“We are honored for Mrs. Pickering to be on our campus at MSU so she can tell her personal story of struggle and how she was able to overcome the tough obstacle of getting away from an abusive relationship,” Mullen said. “My hope is that her story will touch the lives of our students and university community.”

Pickering said she is looking forward to sharing her stories with others and she hopes her courage and honesty will have a positive impact on those who hear her speak.

“It took me many years to get to the point where I felt comfortable sharing my story.  I was embarrassed to admit the mistakes I made.  I, however, now see that the only way I can help others is to admit those mistakes and share what I learned from them,” she said.

Pickering said as a woman who overcame being fearful and abused, she knows exactly what it feels like to be afraid and to feel ashamed. 

“Having lived in an abusive relationship for 21 years, I know first-hand how it feels to be the victim of abuse. I know what it is.  I know what it feels like. And…. I know how I got out safely and found happiness. I made my first mistake when I was in college at the age of 20. I don’t want these young women to do the same things that I did,” Pickering said.

Everyone is invited and encouraged to attend this event. It is free and there are plenty of seats available.

Participants can come out tonight not only to show support, but to learn from someone who knows what it is like to be going through something that nobody else knows about. For more information, contact Jacqueline Mullen at  [email protected].