Roxanne wins the vote!

Roxanne Raven won the 2016 SA Presidency
Russ Houston

After what probably felt like a long two weeks of campaigning, Student Association political controversy and mixed feelings about endorsements –the 2016 Student Association Executive Council Candidate election is finally over. 
On Tuesday night (Feb. 2), students awaited the results of the highly anticipated SA executive council election, receiving the news that Roxanne Raven won with a total number of 2,619 votes via the Mississippi State University SA Twitter.
Her presidential campaign opponent, Cole Wood, received 539 fewer votes.
Raven said she was at a loss for words when she discovered she had won, but promises to remain dedicated to students.
“It was an overwhelming sense of honor and excitement,” Raven said.
“Starting tomorrow (Feb. 3) after my morning classes, I will be available and in the SA office to meet anyone who has ideas. I always promise to be available.”
Looking forward, Raven said she will try and include the opinions of campus leaders in the decision-making processes for new ideas.
“I will post my office hours soon so everyone knows when they can come meet with me and talk about anything they want to,” she said. “I plan on meeting with student leaders across campus to make sure I have a diverse opinion on what I need to start tackling first.”
With nothing but compliments to give, Raven said Wood was great to work with.
“I was so honored to run in this campaign with Cole,” Raven said. “He is the epitome of a candidate with integrity. He has a lot to be proud of. I wish him the best, and he worked so hard and reached so many students. I think anyone could tell he genuinely wished to serve students.”
Attorney General  and Raven’s opponent Cole Wood said he is not disappointed with the election results.
“I’m honored that I have 2,000 plus votes and I’m honored to have the support of the student body,” Wood said. “I trust that Roxanne will do a great job. I’m not disappointed. My parents always say everything happens for a reason. My uncle sent me a quote by Garth Stein that says, ‘There’s no dishonor in losing the race. There’s only dishonor in not racing because you’re afraid to lose.”
Newly elected officials for other SA Executive Council positions were released as well Tuesday night and are as follows: Hunt Walne (ran unopposed) for vice president, Tyler McMurray for secretary (total of 2,545 votes), Ashley Brooks for treasurer (total of 2,520 votes) and Gavin King (ran unopposed) for attorney general. 
Students also voted for seven at-large Senator seats. The new elects are as follows: Mackenzie Smith, Layton Little, Emily Grace, Katherine Anne Stringer, Katie Carroll, Anne Kate Tomlinson and Lexi Landry.