Author Dorothy Allison to visit State

The College of Arts & Sciences Institute for the Humanties’ will host award-winning writer and author of “Bastard Out of Carolina,” Dorothy Allison, on Feb. 29- March 4. 
     Allison was born to her 15-year-old unwed mother in 1949 and lived a poverty-stricken life of abuse at the hands of her stepfather, all outlined in the book. She considers herself a voice for abuse victims who do not have one.
     Becky Hagenston, associate professor in the Department of English, said Allison’s book sheds light on issues of gender and violence.
     “Allison approaches the subjects of gender, violence, class and family with compassion, directness and disarming humor,” Hagenston said. “She’s a story teller whose powerful voice hooks you from the get-go.”
     College of Arts & Sciences Director of Communications, Karyn Brown, commends Allison for her writing and the power her words hold.
      “Her work is very powerful, it really is,” Brown said. “I’m really excited we get the chance to have her here.”

Allison has been awarded the American Library Association Prize for Lesbian and Gay Writing along with two Lambda Literary Awards and the 2007 Robert Penn Warren Award. This book was turned into a film, directed by Anjelica Huston. In 1998, Allison also founded the Independent Spirit Award designed to support writers who champion small presses and independent bookstores.
     A public reading will be given on March 1 at 7:30p.m. in the Colvard Students Union’s Foster Ballroom. Along with an informal discussion with a creative writing class and the Gender Studies Program, Allison will hold office hours during the week to talk with anyone wishing to do so.
     Institute for the Humanities director William Hay said having Allison come to campus is a great opportunity for the community. 
       “It’s a great opportunity for campus and the community,” Hay said. “We welcome the public to hear Allison discuss her work at the Tuesday reading.”
     Catherine Pierce, co-director of Creative Writing at MSU, said in an email Allison’s writing is powerful, hard-hitting and important. 
     “It’s also incredibly engaging — her stories pull you in and don’t let go,” Pierce said. “It’s wonderful that the Institute for the Humanities has been able to bring a writer as prestigious and significant as Dorothy Allison.”