Engineering Week takes MSU by storm

Despite National Engineering Week having been celebrated in February, the Bagley College of Engineering decided to showcase their engineering program at Mississippi State University in their own way with the annual ‘E-week’ on campus.
Each year, MSU’s Engineering Student Council hosts E-week to celebrate the accomplishments and showcase the talent of engineering students of all disciplines.
Not only did the week-long event promote and showcase our successful engineering program at MSU, but it gave students in the College of Engineering a way to compete with students in other disciplines. Throughout this week, the students competed against each other to earn points for their specific discipline, whether it be mechanical, industrial, or chemical engineering.
E-week events ran all over campus Monday through Thursday and consisted of many hands-on activities for students, a Family Feud trivia night and an open discussion panel with NASA engineers.
Some of the activities were engineering related, such as the NASA discussion panel and the marshmallow towers competition, while other events were to help promote student involvement on campus.
Other activities, such as the duct tape wall competition, was a way to prove that although engineering is a challenging major, the students can join together to have fun too.
For the duct tape competition, each discipline had 10 minutes for their team to duct tape a member to the wall, with the winner being the team whose member was able to stay on the wall the longest.
Haley Knable, freshman electrical engineering major, was the chosen member in her discipline to be taped to the wall.
“Because there aren’t a lot of females in the engineering program, I was chosen to be taped on the wall because I was the lightest of the team,” Knable said.
Other events, such as the NASA panel discussion, also proved to be a successful addition of this year’s E-week.
Sydney Penick, sophomore mechanical engineering major, said she enjoyed getting the chance to speak to the NASA employees.
“I got to hear about their upcoming mission to Mars,” Penick said, “and I also received some great career insight, so, hopefully, I can work for NASA someday too.”
For more information on how to get involved in upcoming events, visit www.bagley.msstate.edu or contact the Bagley Engineering Student Council.