Student wins first at NOLA fashion week

Jesse Newton| Courtesy Photograph

Keely Cresap models Newtons’ designs.

Mississippi State University student Jesse Newton won two awards during New Orleans Fashion Week Career Day on March 18.

Newton, a junior fashion design and merchandising major from Eupora, Mississippi, entered in the mood board and fashion design competitions and won first place in both. He competed against students from Louisiana State University, University of Southern Mississippi, and the southern Alabama areas.

Newton said his award-winning design was a mix between evening couture and edgy avant-garde.

“It is an asymmetrical design featuring a jacket with an attached skirt, paired with a tapered trouser. This design has a lot of details, which you can see in the sleeves and topstitching, and had 28 patterning pieces that I made myself. I am definitely a statement piece designer focusing on silhouettes, detail, and textiles,” Newton said. “I think that everyone takes life way too seriously and that your wardrobe should reflect the joys in everyday life.”

Newton said students at New Orleans Fashion Week Career Day also listened to presentations and network with industry professionals, such as featured New Orleans designers, fashion bloggers, stylists and photographers all that are either famous or up and coming in the New Orleans fashion scene.

Newton said he has worked throughout the Spring semester as a design assistant to friend and Fashion Design alumni Rachel Buchanan Woodward to help her prepare her 12-piece collection for a show during New Orleans Fashion Week on March 18.

“During the main event, I was backstage with her getting our models dressed and ready for the show. I met Americas Next Top Model alumni, Victoria Henley, who happened to be one of our models for the show,” Newton said.

Newton said New Orleans Fashion Week, which took place March 17 through 20, was exactly what people would expect it to be: glamorous, fashion forward and very fast paced, and it made him excited for his future in the fashion industry.

“I definitely plan to do New Orleans Fashion Week next year, hopefully to present a collection as a featured designer, like Rachel Buchanan Woodward. This experience was remarkable and unforgettable and a must for anyone interested in the fashion industry. 

“The few days before we left for NOLA we were either sewing or sleeping to ensure that my garments and RBW’s collection was finished, so getting down there with everything and seeing the crowds positive reaction to what we were doing was worth every late night,” Newton said.

Newton said he wanted to thank many people for the support during this experience.

“I’d like to thank all my wonderful professors, especially Dr. Charles Freeman and Dr. Catherine Black in the Human Sciences/Fashion Design and Merchandising Department for believing in me, my family for being my number one fans, and my amazing friends for always supporting me no matter my crazy ideas,” Newton said.