Natalie Jones finalist for Truman Scholarship

Russ Houston

MSU senior English and Sociology double major Natalie Jones, is a finalist for the Harry S. Truman Scholarship.

There’s more to the Truman Scholarship finalist and Mississippi State University senior, Natalie Jones, than meets the eye. Beyond the esteemed national scholarship is a passionate woman who is confident in her ability to bring about change. 
Jones credits the faculty at MSU for cultivating her passions and directing her toward greatness. 
  “Having people believe in me and bring me along and develop that vision in me was so meaningful to my personal development,” Jones said. 
 As an english and sociology double major, Jones’ desire to advocate for minorities stems from her personal experiences observing racial injustices in her youth. With her unique perspective as a young African-American woman, Jones set her sights on public policy as a means of facilitating the social change dialogue. 
  “If we’re really going to move past [racial injustice],” Jones said, “we need to change how our laws and policies operate.”
  Jones’ specific mindset about public policy has landed her in the running for the most coveted national scholarship. The Harry S. Truman Scholarship aids college students who are committed to public service to continue their professional and educational development. Following a series of interviews, the selected students will receive a $30,000 scholarship to continue their quest for societal change. 
   For Jones, the scholarship would provide a means in which she can empower others to accomplish social change together. Using her matured and refined leadership style, Jones said she remains sure of one thing, people matter most.
Jones is set to interview for the Truman Scholarship on March 29 in Nashville, Tennessee.  
 Associate Professor and Director of External Prestigious Scholarships, Tommy Anderson said his time spent as Jones’ mentor has provided Jones with opportunities like the Truman Scholarship to better equip her as a leader. 
“[Jones’] ability to think across disciplines to solve long-standing problems in the state make her an agent for change,” he said. “[Jones] is grounded in her core beliefs and fearless in facing an uncertain future.”
 For more information about the scholarship, visit www.truman.gov.