Starkville goes green

After receiving a $50,000 materials conservation grant, the city of Starkville plans to buy thicker, stronger and larger green recycling bags for residents.
Alderman Eric Parker said the bags will be used for curbside recycling. Residents can deposit materials in the bags and sanitation services will pick them up from their homes.
Parker said the grant money will also be used for advertising and education on recycling.
“It’s important that we do our part in recycling,” he said. “We are saving the city money, and we’re saving resources from the environmental services and sanitation department. It’s [also] important that we do it for the environment itself.”
Starkville will make professional flyers available at City Hall and various other locations. Residents will also receive handouts on recycling after signing up for electricity and gas, Parker said.
Last fall, Starkville published video media in which residents from each ward testified about their recycling methods. Parker said the program spread awareness on recycling. He said he hopes to start the program again this year.