Maroon volunteers build Habitat house

A mother of three will receive a house she can finally call her home as a result of Mississippi State University’s student and faculty members’ effort to help the community. The Maroon Volunteer Center and Habitat for Humanity have coordinated to construct their third house for a family in need. MVC hopes the Riley family will be able to live in the house starting Nov. 1.
Benn Shadrek, student volunteer coordinator, said about five to 25 students work on the house every Friday and Saturday. 
 ”Seeing what once was a concrete slab become a home for a family is a great feeling,” Shadrek said. Volunteers started working on the house on Aug. 8, and the house is nearing completion now.
Volunteers also face many challenges while working on the house. Shadrek said sometimes volunteers cannot work because of bad weather. Many tools have to be left at the worksite overnight, and, as a result, some things are stolen. This year, however, this has not been a big issue.
Emilee Pearce, junior sociology major, said the biggest challenge for her was working on the roof.
“It didn’t look so bad from the ground, but it was so scary on top,” Pearce said.
All volunteer positions are full this year, because so many people signed up for the Habitat project. The volunteer group consists of students, faculty members and citizens who want to help.
“Knowing that this was a home built completely by volunteers, like myself and many others, helps you see that people are still willing to lend a helping hand to those in need,” Shadrek said.
Meggan Franks, program coordinator for the MVC, said she believes community service is not just something to put on the resume but a chance for students to bond with the local community and have a greater understanding of humanity.
“Volunteers need to think of it less as building a house, and more as building a home,” Franks said. “It gives us a greater appreciation of things we have, the lives we lead. Not all of us have the same luxuries,”  Franks said.
Now, with the completion of the house the volunteers have built, the family will be able to lead a more fulfilling life. This is a life-changing experience for the family because, for the first time, they can call a house their home, she said.
 ”At the MVC, we challenge the students of Mississippi State to get involved and become a part of something that makes a difference in our community and the lives of others,” Franks said.
MVC manages the volunteer shifts and offers almost 500 students, faculty and staff as volunteers every fall semester for the Habitat for Humanity project.
 ”I have worked on the house, and it is a fabulous volunteer opportunity that I hope each and every student at MSU will get a chance to experience,” Franks said.
Anna Comer, junior kinesiology major, said she enjoyed the experience of helping a family in need.
“I really like helping people and thought this was a great way to help out a family. I also got to know a lot of people while working here,”  Comer said.
According to John Breazeale, project supervisor, MSU students, faculty members and staff have built the 1000-square- foot house from the ground up. Many retired MSU faculty members helped as well.  Breazeali said a motivation for the project was to offer students a chance to get involved in the community. Building this house gives student an experience they can remember for the rest of their lives.