New South Weekends bring pre-game festivities downtown

This year, Bulldog fans have yet another place to gather and build excitement before each football game. The Greater Starkville Development Partnership has scheduled events on Friday evenings before every home football game this season.
Jennifer Gregory, vice president for tourism development and Starkville Main Street manager, said this event will bring people together from every group of Mississippi State University fans.
“The New South Weekends were established to try to provide students, residents and all other MSU football fans with Friday night activities the night before the football game,” Gregory said.
The events began this past Friday with the Downtown Block Party. Live music and entertainment were on hand to excite the crowds of anxious football fans. A fashion show was held to highlight popular attire for game day, and attendees were able to take part in a multicultural food tasting sponsored by international student organizations of the Holmes Cultural Diversity Center. Inflatable jumpers, Henna tattoos, face painting and MSU’s beloved Bully were all there to entertain the young Bulldogs.
Many shops on Main Street, including Ooh La La Boutique, Polka Tots and Sundial, were open until 8 p.m. to provide late-night shopping for patrons. The event was free to the public.
The next event will take place on Oct. 14, the night before MSU faces South Carolina. Main Street will be filled with the Halloween spirit as the public is invited to Pumpkinpalooza.
This event will consist of trick-or-treating to Main Street merchants, a pumpkin patch with locally grown pumpkins and mums for sale, a pumpkin painting station sponsored by Starkville Area Arts Council and a haunted house. Restaurants will have specials for any kids who show up in costumes, and Bully and the MSU cheerleaders will lead a pep-rally in anticipation of the next day’s game.
Other events include Bulldog Family Frenzy, Bulldog Bash and Egg Ball.
Jeremiah Dumas, alderman ward 5 and chairperson of the Starkville Convention and Visitors Bureau, said New South Weekends are a good way to combine many events toward a common purpose.
“It had gotten to the point where so many events were happening surrounding football weekends that we thought it was best to collaboratively market these events in an effort to not take control of the established events,” Dumas said.
Another event drawing attention and excitement from bulldog fans is Bulldog Brunch and Browse.
Brecken Crabtree, owner of Polka Tots, said Bulldog Brunch and Browse has been anticipated by everyone she has told about it.
“Everybody who has been coming has been excited about going to church, going to eat and then going shopping on Sunday,” Crabtree said.
Bulldog Brunch and Browse takes place on the Sundays of home football game weekends from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at many of the stores on Main Street. Participating stores include Sundial, Libby Story and Co., Polka Tots, Ooh La La, Thyme and others. Main Street restaurants will also be open for their usual Sunday hours.
Crabtree said this event will allow bulldog fans from all over to shop in Starkville the day after the game without having to rush the day before.
“People are excited because most of them get here just in time for the game and do not get to shop,” Crabtree said. “Now, they can.”
A full list of participating merchants can be found on The Greater Starkville Development’s website.
New South Weekends create opportunities for even more fun for families, students and the general public on the nights before home games.
In a video on the website, Dan Mullen, MSU head football coach, said New South Weekends will help to make Mississippi State football games better than any other.
“I’m proud to announce New South Weekends: a tradition that combines the institution of SEC football with new events that will make every home game here in Starkville one of the best experiences in college football in America,” Mullen said. “Our new state of mind is that Starkville is Mississippi’s college town.”