MSU hosts 5K run, walk benefitting United Way

Mississippi State University is sponsoring a 5K run and walk on MSU’s campus for United Way of North Central Mississippi on Saturday, Oct. 22.
The preregistration entry fee for the 8 a.m. race is $20 per participant. Participants may register the day of the race for $25 beginning at 7 a.m. Participants in the race will be given a T-shirt and officials will recognize winners in different age divisions.
Les Potts, director of the 5K, said the race has several goals, including raising awareness and funds for MSU United Way.
“I hope that participants will first and foremost feel proud of themselves for supporting their community in this manner,” Potts said. “This is a great cause, and their registration dollars will help support charitable organizations right here at home.”
Therace route will encompass a portion of campus and begin at Giles Hall, Potts said.
“I want people to enjoy being outside on our wonderful campus.  Running this route will give participants a great tour of this beautiful campus where we live, work and go to school,” Potts said.
James Orr, member of MSU United Way campaign staff, said he wants students, faculty, staff and local residents to participate in the race as a way to bond as a communityand help those in need.
“People who enjoy running and walking can come together with the community to have good fellowship while also taking part in an event that is helping the local community,” Orr said.
Robert Cadenhead, campaign chair for MSU United Way, said the 5K is an event used to generate awareness for United Way.
“The 5K and the other special events help with awareness of the United Way campaign as well as serve as a way to generate some additional dollars that go into the pool that is later distributed to the neediest citizens in our community,” Cadenhead said.
The race is also a way to encourage healthy living and fitness in the Starkville community, Potts said.
“I think anything that we do to promote health and physical activity is a plus,” Potts said. “If this event lights a fire under a single person to get in shape and be healthier, then the whole thing was worth it.”
Potts said MSU United Way plans service projects and raises funds to help citizens in the surrounding areas.
“Our United Way tries to meet as many needs as possible of youth, elderly and disadvantaged in Choctaw, Oktibbeha, Webster and Winston Counties.  The faculty, staff and students at Mississippi State contribute to our campaign on campus, and those proceeds go to the United Way of North Central Mississippi,” Potts said.
United Way uses a variety of events and campaigns to raise awareness and funds for underprivileged citizens in the area.
“United Way is also selling the highly sought after ‘Grindin’ for My State’/‘This is Our State’ bracelets. All proceeds from the bracelets go to The United Way,” said Cadenhead.
Orr said he wants students to know they can support the community through service projects, even when monetary donations are not possible.
“For those who cannot contribute financially, I would encourage them to find an opportunity to take part in a community service activity within the local Starkville community,” Orr said. “The Maroon Volunteer Center serves as (an) important point of contact regarding ways to serve the community.”
He said United Way is one of many important organizations working in the area to help citizens who may need assistance.
“The United Way is a vital part to our community. Many lives are touched through the services that the United Way provides,” Orr said.