Starting QB remains undecided for MSU

The million-dollar question every Mississippi State fan is asking heading into Saturday’s game against South Carolina is simple: Who will be the Bulldogs’ starting quarterback?
This has been a topic of discussion surrounding MSU football since last Saturday, when sophomore Tyler Russell replaced senior Chris Relf at halftime of State’s 21-3 win over the UAB Blazers.
Russell led MSU’s offense to its best half since the Bulldogs’ shootout against Auburn, throwing for 166 yards on 11-13 passing and hooking up with senior Marcus Greene, junior Chad Bumphis and freshman Malcolm Johnson on scoring plays.
The sophomore’s spark seemed to give MSU and its fans a renewed sense of hope and left many dubious on who would take the snaps against conference opponent South Carolina in this weekend’s matchup.
Unfortunately, the question will almost certainly not be answered until State’s first offensive series Saturday. Head coach Dan Mullen remains tight-lipped on the situation and said both Relf and Russell, just like every other week, have received equal repetition with the first team offense in preparation for the Gamecocks. Mullen said he might not even disclose the starter until Saturday’s game has already begun.
“I might tell them after we get the ball,” Mullen said. “Whoever gives us the best chance to win, we’ll go play with them.”
Although he was mostly concise, Mullen did crack a smile and said he could always allow a receiver, such as junior Chad Bumphis or freshman Jameon Lewis, to take the first snap of the game from the Wildcat formation, just so everyone will “flip out.”
Worth mentioning is the fact the Bulldogs have played only one quarterback in just two of its first six games. Although Chris Relf has started every game thus far, he has been replaced by either Tyler Russell or freshman Dylan Favre in over half of State’s contests. MSU’s coaching staff has never shied away from turning to a backup to generate offensive production, and that trend may continue Saturday if the starting quarterback plays inconsistently.
With the quarterback situation currently so fuzzy, one could easily draw the conclusion that the effects of the uncertainty would be widespread throughout the team. This is not true though, according to wide receiver Chad Bumphis, who said he couldn’t care less about who starts the game at quarterback.
“This summer we did a bunch of work with both (quarterbacks),” he said. “They’re both good, they both know the offense and they’re both able to get the job done.”
The task will be tall for whoever takes the snaps Saturday, as South Carolina leads the SEC in passing defense, giving up only 128.5 yards per game. However, there is a chance the Gamecocks will be missing a starter in the defensive secondary, as senior cornerback Marty Markett is currently questionable against MSU after suffering a concussion on special teams in USC’s 54-3 thrashing of Kentucky. Another senior, C.C. Whitlock, will likely take his place.
Although South Carolina ranks middle of the pack in rushing defense in the SEC, its defensive line is by no means a slouch. The Gamecocks lead the SEC in sacks and are led by senior Melvin Ingram and true freshman Jadeveon Clowney, who have combined for 9.5 sacks in six games and are ranked first and second in the individual sack category in the conference. Ingram has been named SEC player of the week three times so far in 2011 and is tied for 11th in the country with 5.5 sacks.
Clowney, who was ranked as the best high school recruit in the class of 2011 according to Rivals.com, is tied for second in the SEC with three forced fumbles and is considered a leading candidate for the SEC Freshman of the Year award.
Regardless of who starts the game as MSU’s quarterback, it will be imperative that State’s offensive line holds its ground at the line of scrimmage and allows Relf or Russell enough time to make proper reads and deliver passes to open receivers.
Senior offensive tackle Addison Lawrence said it will be essential for the Bulldogs to develop and emphasize an inside running game against the Gamecocks.
“They’ve probably got three or four guys that can come in, and they’re all quality SEC guys that can put the pass rush on,” he said. “That’s probably going to be their advantage, their two outside guys, but we have to dominate their inside guys and do our part.”
It will take all units doing their part for MSU’s offense to get back on track.