MSU students protest Amendment 26

A student organized protest over Amendment 26 occurred Thursday on the Mississippi State University Drill Field. Students and community members joined together with posters, signs and testimonials to combat the new amendment that defines personhood.
            Senior Political Science student Victoria Jowers was one of the activists involved with putting the protest together. As with many of the protesters, Jowers said she felt an obligation to uphold her democratic rights.
            “As voters in a democratic society, we have a responsibility to know what it is that were are saying yes to when we go in and check ‘yes’ on a ballot,” Jowers said. “We have to know what the side effects are and what the benefits are and the side effects haven’t really been talked about.”
            Students showed to show their support for some of the keynote speakers at the event. One speaker spoke about her experience of being raped when she was younger and said abortions can be necessary for situations involving rape.
            Shannnon Denney, senior political science major, said their stance is not about abortion; it’s about some consequences that come from this amendment
 ”It’s not just about abortion, it’s about so many other things and about a woman’s health in general,” she said.