Expectations high for MSU basketball, with good reason

Entering the 2011-2012 college basketball season, there may not be a more difficult team in the country to figure out than the Bulldogs. On paper, this year’s Bulldog squad could be downright “nasty.” However, when discussing the Mississippi State basketball program, things aren’t always as they seem.
Whether a seemingly constant exodus of players from the program, fights amongst players caught on national television, Twitter outbursts by frustrated players or players being suspended due to everything from violating team rules to receiving illegal benefits, Mississippi State basketball has been anything but boring over the last few years. And that isn’t even taking into consideration the baffling, RPI-killing losses to schools such as Rider University.
However, a new day hath dawned, and it seems to have brought with it a sense of optimism. From talking to coaches, players and fans, it is readily apparent this year is supposed to be different. This team appears to have chemistry and appears hungry to reach the next level. Knock on wood, but they should be really damn good.
Various NBA mock draft sites seem to think Dee Bost, Arnett Moultrie, Renardo Sidney and Rodney Hood have a solid chance of getting drafted in the 2012 or 2013 NBA drafts, and, for a program that hasn’t had a player truly make it in the NBA since Eric Dampier, this is a big deal. The talent is there, but is the chemistry?
If this year’s Bulldog team can avoid the absurd blow ups that led to some people referring to the program as a “dumpster fire” last year, then it has a chance to be the best State team since the 2004 team that won the SEC title outright and earned a number two seed in the NCAA Tournament. Laugh if you want, but this team is even more talented than that 2004 squad. Bost is the heart and soul of the team and will break the school’s all-time assist record; Sidney is one of the most talented players to ever step on the court at State; Hood does a little bit of everything, and Moultrie is a tenacious rebounder and versatile player who national basketball writer Jeff Goodman of CBSSports.comsaid would have the second biggest impact of any transfer in the nation. This isn’t even taking into consideration quality role players such as Brian Bryant, Wendell Lewis, Jalen Steele and Shaun Smith.
According to Stansbury, the biggest difference in this year’s team will be the fact there is more than one player who can create off the dribble. Bost, Bryant, Hood and the lightning-quick Smith all have the ability to break a defender down and score at the rim or dish it off to an open teammate. If the guards can consistently create off the dribble, this will really open things up for Sidney and Moultrie in the paint. Both are capable of averaging a double-double, but what remains to be seen is if they can actually dominate the paint at the level many are expecting.
If State is going to be a top-flight team this year, it won’t take long for the Bulldog faithful to find out. Unlike in years past, the Bulldogs play one of the more difficult schedules in the country, and early season games against Texas A&M, West Virgina and Baylor will give the team a chance to make a huge jump in the polls if they play well. Once State enters SEC play, things will be even more difficult. Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Alabama and Florida are expected to be really good this year, and teams such as LSU and Auburn should be better. (Florida is the most overrated team in the country. You heard it here first.) With that said, though, the Bulldogs have enough talent to beat any team in the conference, including the vaunted Kentucky Wildcats.
All cynicism aside, I expect the Bulldogs to make some noise on the national level this year. The potential is certainly there; it will just depend on how well they mesh. If they play up to their abilities, the Hump could get awfully ROWDY (oh, wait…) this season.