Bulldog Brunch and Browse channels tourism benefits

The Greater Starkville Development Partnership will host its inaugural Bulldog Brunch and Browse in Downtown Starkville Nov. 6, 13 and 27.
The Bulldog Brunch and Browse takes place on Sundays following home football games. Businesses on Main Street will open their doors for special shopping from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. 
The GSDP Vice President of Tourism Development and Main Street Manager Jennifer Gregory said she wanted to encourage visitors to eat brunch and shop before they leave town after game weekends.
 ”The idea came from the fact that we know there are two-night minimums in the hotels, so most visitors are coming in town Friday and checking out Sunday mornings,” she said.
Gregory said the GSDP plans to host the event each year to attract visitors to experience Downtown Starkville and contribute to the growing culture.
Businesses participating in the event include: Frock Fashions, The Book Mart, Libby Story, Polka Tots, R Tabb and Co., Oooh La La Boutique, Harmonie Boutique, The Sundial, Occasions, Thyme, Reed’s, Mary Virginia’s and Bath Bayou. Each business has a Facebook page directly linked from the GSDP website where visitors can view store specials and discounts.
“The event has been wildly successful,” Gregory said. “Several stores are reporting record sales.”
Business owners have appreciated extra business on Sundays due to this event. Since more people are spending money, there is more sales tax income, which leads to more funds for Mississippi State’s Student Association.
Brooke Edwards, an Occasions employee from West Point said usually businesses on Main Street do not receive large amounts of customers on weekends, but the Brunch and Browse has positively affected her business.
“Our store has definitely had an increase in business due to the event,” she said. “Even fans from the opposing team stop by to shop and compliment on how neat the idea is.”
Several restaurants on and near Main Street have experienced a dramatic increase in business on weekends as a result of the event.
Sarah Mitchell, an employee of Old Venice Pizza Co., said she has enjoyed seeing large crowds and families join them for brunch on Sundays.
“We plan to even have extra servers and bus boys on Sundays, especially Homecoming weekend, to accommodate for the influx in customers,” Mitchell said, “We have started Sunday brunch specials as well.”
The Bulldog Brunch and Browse has thus far proven as a fun, successful and community-building event. The GSDP predicts the event will grow even more following this year.