Water tests find no problems

On April 8, Mississippi State University issued an announcement concerning the amount of lead and copper found in MSU’s water.
According to the public announcement, the action level for lead was 0.015 mg/L, and the action level for copper was 1.3 mg/L, which is below the action levels stipulated by the Mississippi State Department of Health.
 Mitch Turner, certified water operator for MSU, said based on these action levels, the water is safe and there is no need for corrective action.
“There is nothing wrong with our water,” Turner said. “As the report’s first sentence states, our water system did not violate a drinking water standard.”
Turner said due to a new law, the Mississippi State Department of Health requires water suppliers to report any lead or copper findings in water samples.
“This is a new requirement by the Mississippi State Department of Health that we send out an email to make sure our customers are informed,” Turner said. “We have always taken samples for lead and copper, and they are always posted in the consumer report in June, but we had to send out this separate announcement because of the new law.”
Ralph Nobles, associate director for utilities, said the email had to be sent out even though the test results did not indicate any danger.
“It’s just routine test-results reporting,” Nobles said. “All test results are reported and confirm that the water is fine.”
Turner said MSU’s water is safe to drink.
“There is no reason to not drink the water,” Turner said. “It’s completely safe.”