Dawgs drop two to Vandy, Auburn at The Dude up next

SEC play has started for the Diamond Dawgs, and the team was thrown right into the tough action as it started off in Nashville against the second ranked team in the nation, the Vanderbilt Commodores.
Before beginning the series with the ‘Dores, State routed Lipscomb University 14-4. Junior Nick Routt made his return to the mound and had plenty of support at the plate as a home run by Nick Vickerson and a pair of RBIs by Cody Freeman, Jarrod Parks, Jonathan Ogden and C.T. Bradford led State to an impressive win.
Taking on the Commodores was a different story as the Bulldogs were scoreless in the first two games, losing 10-0 and 4-0. Friday’s loss was the first shutout thrown against the Dawgs in 107 games. State gave up six earned runs in the first three innings and finished with a dismal four hits in the league opener.
Saturday’s game proved to be a little better for the Dawgs as starting pitcher Chris Stratton only allowed four earned runs through 6.2 innings. However, the guys could not get the bats going, finishing with just three hits.
The series finale seemed to be much of the same for the Bulldogs as they went into the eighth inning trailing 4-8. However, State produced a five-hit, five-run inning to take a 9-8 lead over the Commodores. After getting the bases loaded, Taylor Stark, Freeman, Adam Frazier and Bradford all followed with RBIs putting the Dawgs on top.
Stark also finished off Vandy on the mound pitching the final 1.2 innings and retiring six of the seven batters he faced; the freshman Stark picked up his first save of the season while Chad Girodo was given the win as he came in to pitch a scoreless seventh.
State head coach John Cohen was impressed at his team’s ability to avoid a potential sweep and come back late in the game against such a great team.
“I think there’s some confidence there,” Cohen said. “It doesn’t matter who you’re playing, when you come from behind that’s a big moment for your club, and I was really proud of our kids.”
A strong point for the Bulldogs this year has been the play of their freshman class. Last year’s player of the year for the state of Alabama, Daryl Norris, is third on the team with a batting average of .327 and tied for third with 18 RBIs. Bradford, who was named the player of the year last year in Florida, is second on the team in hits, RBIs and stolen bases. Both of these guys also pitch for the Bulldogs and are joined by fellow freshman Evan Mitchell, who is 3-1 on the year, and Stark, who is 1-0 with one save.
However, the freshmen aren’t doing all of the work for the 15-6 Bulldogs. The senior class has been solid all season. Parks leads the team batting .412 and is in the lead with 20 RBIs. Senior Cody Freeman is second on the team in batting average while Nick Vickerson has been very productive in the leadoff spot and has a 100 percent steal percentage, racking up 17 steals already this year. Shortstop Jonathan Ogden leads the team with three homeruns on the year. Cohen has noticed the impact of the strong leadership of his seniors this season.
“As a coach, you want as many coaches on the field and in the dugout as possible, and that’s what really good older players who are leaders do for you,” Cohen said. “I think that is a strength of this club; we have some older kids who are doing a great job with our younger guys.”
Bradford added, “They’ve really taken us under their wings nicely.”
This solid leadership has led to much needed team chemistry for the Bulldogs who are well on their way to being a notable team in the SEC.
Norris said the chemistry is great among all the players on the team.
“We spend a lot of time on the field, and we spend a lot of time together off the field just building relationships and building that team chemistry,” Norris said.
The road doesn’t get any easier for the Bulldogs as the team hosts the No. 20 Auburn Tigers this weekend. Auburn is an offensive power house, but Norris is confident the momentum gained from their late inning comeback against Vanderbilt will carry into this weekend’s games.
“We’re really just trying to build from the last game of last weekend and hopefully come in, play solid, hit the ball well, play good defense behind our pitching and take all three games.”
Game times are 6:30 tonight, 2 p.m. Saturday and 1:30 Sunday afternoon.