Montana Repertory performs at MSU

The Montana Repertory Theatre will perform its rendition of William Inge’s musical comedy “Bus Stop” at Mississippi State University’s Lee Hall audiotorium today. 

Since its establishment in 1967, the Montana Repertory Theatre company has been touring the country and is now considered to be one of the most respected companies in the United States.  It decided to put MSU on its touring schedule again this year because of the excellent atmosphere, Greg Johnson, artistic director for the company, said.
    “We love college campuses because the students are very intelligent and hip,” said Johnson.  “Many people come out to see, and the audience is always very receptive.”
    “Bus Stop” is a musical comedy classic anyone can appreciate.  Johnson said despite the play’s post-war setting, “Bus Stop” has a theme that is relatable to today’s society.
    “The heroes are young 19- year-olds who fall for one another and learn about what love is and the different ways it can be manifested, which is something that could just as easily be happening right there on Highway 12,” he said.
    “Bus Stop” is part of MSU’s 2010-2011 Lyceum Series, which has also included Grammy-winning guitarist Earl Klugh, the Dance Theatre of Harlem Ensemble and the Ahn Trio. 
    Jackie Mullen, assistant director for Colvard Student Union, said based on previous performances in the series, the audience can expect to enjoy itself.
    “Our dance and theatre are very popular. Harlem had a huge student crowd, and ‘Bus Stop’ will hopefully be able to bring in even more students who want to take advantage of the free tickets,” Mullen said.
    She also said MSU does not have a lot of musical theatre performances on campus and now students have the opportunity to see one presented by a renowned company that has performed all over the country.
    Morgan Smith, sophomore animal and dairy science major, said she is interested in attending.
    “It sounds like a lot of fun, and I heard great things about the Montana Repertory Theatre after their performance of ‘To Kill a Mockingbird’ last year,” she said.
    The performance will be in Lee Hall at 7:30 p.m.