Childhood dream becomes reality

Now that I am here in the U.S., I would like to narrate my life-changing experience which unfolded before arriving on the land of the opportunities. The United States of America is a nation looked upon by every single individual born on this planet Earth, and I wanted to be here, badly. I had a childhood dream of boarding a flight to the U.S. and seeing the people, tall buildings, Starbucks coffee, James Bond’s home and the wonderful ladies shown in cinema, all of which I fancied as a child. On July 28, 2010, I was living it: the dream of my life.

Air France was pretty much a great experience. As the Boeing 777 left ground, I gazed out of the window and recalled the long, hard process it took to get me into the seat in which I sat.
    I still clearly remember my first face-to-face encounter with an American, and since it was with my visa counselor, it was very nerve-wracking but memorable.
    Last summer, I faced the first representative of this country whom non-native students deal with before actually coming here to State. To be very honest, the visa counselor is like a god if you are flying to the States; it is she who will choose to deny or accept your entry into the U.S. I was no exception in having a fear about the first officer.
    The day of my interview dawned, and I had already developed a big block in my mind by the time my car made way through the traffic at the lounge. I was adjusting my tie and suit buttons and tying my shoelace and, within no time, there was an announcement:
    “Token number 494, please report to counter number  four.”
    My reflexes made me stand and, within seconds, I proceeded toward counter number four. My undivided attention was on the visa officer who was interviewing the person before me. She was grinning from ear-to-ear which caused me to deduce that she was friendly.
    My nerves stopped sending messages from the brain to the rest of the body, and my eyes had managed to give a still look at her when she signaled me to come in. I pushed the heavy wooden door and entered the room. It was a bit cozy because of space constraints. I adjusted myself and said, “Good morning, ma’am!”
    V.O.: “Good morning!” (Observing me head to toe giving a smile, she complimented my suit and then looked back at her computer) “So you want to go tothe U.S. Do you have any reasons?”
    Me: “Yes, ma’am, I want to go to the U.S to work on my bachelor’s studies in journalism.
    V.O.:  (Impressed) “Which university did you say?” (Locating I-20 on her desk and making a sound from her epiglottis) “Hmm … Mississippi State University.” (Again looking at her computer) “You have been granted a visa and your passport will be couriered to you within two to three days. I hope I get to see you on television or read your articles in the newspaper.”
    Me: “Thank you so much!”
    The streets of Mumbai were looking like the corridors of paradise. I was on cloud nine! It was one of the most special feelings ever. I will cherish that moment all my life. I knew I was flying to my dreamland. I bowed sincerely in my soul to the Almighty.   I have been here almost a year now, and I have received the best hospitality and have met wonderful people here at State.
    Life has shown me a new culture, an altogether different lifestyle and different people, but one thing still remains common far from home: love from all you magnificent people. I’m so glad I came here, and I feel truly blessed.
    Praanav Jadhav is a freshman majoring in communication. He can be contacted at [email protected]