Shuttle begins route to Meridian

Starkville residents who want to enjoy live musical performances from the Mississippi State University Riley Center for Education & Performing Arts in Meridian can now ride a shuttle route from Starkville directly to the theatre.
Dennis Sankovich, executive director of the Riley Center, said the shuttle route is round trip and will cost $10.
John Forde, communication department head for MSU, said he helps administrate the shuttle route. He said patrons will be picked up on the north side of Zacharias Village in the Griffis parking lot, three hours before the show.
Sankovich said the shuttle route is cost efficient and gives Starkville residents a chance to enjoy downtown Meridian.
“It’s a reasonable rate, and it’s very convenient,” he said.
Director of Parking Services and University Transit Mike Harris said the new shuttle route will help students save money on gas because it costs more than $10 to drive to Meridian.
“Instead of 10 or 12 cars going down to the Riley Center, it’s always good to put them all together on one bus,” he said.
The shuttle route also helps students who do not have a vehicle or may have never been to Meridian or know where the Riley Center is, he said.
Forde said a number of people enjoy visiting downtown Meridian and because the shuttle arrives an hour before the performance, patrons will have the opportunity to eat at a nearby restaurant before the show.
There will also be free appetizers and refreshments served in the lobby immediately before the show, Sankovich said.
The shuttle will make a stop for refreshments during the trip, as well as a bathroom break, Sankovich said.
One major goal of the shuttle route is to build a better connection between MSU’s Starkville and Meridian campuses.
“We’ve been looking at this for a while to try to connect our campuses together,” Sankovich said. “All of us have been interested in trying to have more of the faculty, staff and students from Starkville come down and see the Riley Center [and] get a chance to enjoy some of the concerts and performances.”
The shuttle route is a joint venture between both campuses and the Riley Foundation, which is the organization providing the funding for the program, he said.
The Department of Communication has provided an intern to make sure each patron is on the shuttle and accounted for, Sankovich said.
Anna Grace Ward, public relations intern for the Riley Center, holds the position.
She said it is useful to have a shuttle route becausesome students may feel uncomfortable driving at night.
Ward said she also thinks students will enjoy the variety of musical performances offered by the Riley Center, because some shows appeal to a younger audience while others appeal to an older.
Sankovich said he thinks students will enjoy the contemporary artists offered by the Riley Center such as R&B singer Kem.
Forde said the Riley Center has pop, country, soul, gospel and various contemporary artists for students to enjoy.
Sankovich said he recommends patrons call the Riley office and pay for the shuttle ticket in advance in order to reserve a seat because they will be sold on a first-come, first-served basis and the shuttle has a passenger capacity of 35.
Tickets cannot be purchased online, he said.
The Riley Center is an educational and performance arts center. It is also a full service conference center for organizations who want to conduct meetings.
Ward said she hopes the students and staff make use of the shuttle route.
“People just need to know about it and spread the word and take advantage of the transportation,” she said.
Harris said he wants people to enjoy the shuttle route.
“We encourage folks to try it and see how it works for them,” he said. “Go down and look at the Riley Center. It’s a great show piece and a showcase, and I just think it’d be a great experience for anyone who may have the opportunity to go.”