Winter conditions cause pipe panic around Starkville

Brrrrr
Brrrrr

The deep freeze in Starkville and across much of the nation caused many pipe issues, occurring on campus and around Starkville during the holiday break.

At many points during the holiday break, temperatures were below freezing for an extended period of time, causing pipes throughout the city to burst, resulting in damage.
One of the areas to suffer damage was an underground water main serving Dogwood, Deavenport and Nusz Resident Halls.
Sid Salter, chief communications officer for Mississippi State University, said although there was no damage done to the buildings themselves, precautions had to be taken.
“State Health Department regulations require that after a pipe break of this nature, the water had to be tested for safety to make sure it was free of contaminants and safe for consumption,” Salter said. “The impacted area was put under what is called a ‘boil water notice’ from the State Health Department until those tests were completed and the water was declared safe by state inspectors by noon on Monday, Jan. 8.”
Jamie Dyer, associate professor of meteorology in the Department of Geosciences at MSU, said pipe bursts are caused by water expansion when the water freezes. Dyer said keeping faucets and shower heads dripping can help prevent pipe bursts.
“A pipe bursts because water expands when it freezes,” Dyer said. “To prevent it, they need to insulate the pipes, so that the water doesn’t freeze.”
As a result of the water main burst on campus, Salter said certain accommodations had to be made.
“The university provided alternative housing for any students or residence hall staff impacted by the situation, then provided bottled water for consumption after students were allowed to return to their rooms until the boil water notice was lifted,” Salter said.
Additionally, Salter said the university’s water system is much like those of major cities with complex water systems affected by the sub-freezing temperatures.
“The State Capitol Building in Jackson is experiencing similar issues today from water main breaks in the City of Jackson,” Salter said. “It’s a tribute to MSU’s Facilities Management and Housing and Residence Life that there wasn’t additional damage here.”
The freezing temperatures also affected MSU students living off-campus. Kelley Murphree a senior from Huntsville, Alabama, said upon arriving back in Starkville after winter break, her house has felt more like a construction site than her home.
“It’s been crazy,” Murphree said. “We’ve had plumbers and builders in the house for six days now, replacing pipes and fixing bathrooms. I feel like my house is not my own and I have no privacy. It’s hard to focus on school with construction going on in your house.”
Murphree also said while her house now has new insulated pipes, she will more than likely keep the heat on at all times to keep the pipes warm and prevent further upheaval, even if it means a higher energy bill.
MSU Maroon Alert issued a weather warning Thursday morning describing a wintry mix flowing through northern Mississippi. It cautioned MSU students and staff to be cognizant of the winter weather conditions and potential weather-related hazards on the roads. Lows over the weekend will dip into the teens, potentially wrecking even more havoc on underground non-insulated pipes.