JSCO brings big time talent to a small stage

Emma Braswell – The Reflector

Jake Slinkard and Company, or JSCO for short, took over the downstairs venue of Nine-Twentynine Coffee Bar in downtown Starkville on Friday evening.
After hearing nothing but good things about the band, I had to see what all the fuss was about.
Their warm-up was odd at first. The keyboardist Brendan Edwards was synthesizing and toying with the soundboard to create a more techno-vibe I had not expected from the band.
As the rest of the group joined in playing a couple of warm-up tracks, the initial wariness faded as all instruments synced into the obviously well-rehearsed music.
Almost as soon as they started, they disappeared from my view, as the crowd swelled into the room. I had heard a lot about the group, but honestly had not expected the buzz.
In fleeting glances, I could see the expressive jammers eating up the attention, while a fog machine made them seem larger than just a local group.
I could hear them subtly catering to the modern listeners with skill mimicking the slightly older American Rejects sound. At different moments throughout the set, it felt like they had the charisma of The Lumineers.
The Indie-Rock vibe appropriately matched the coffee shop scene, while still showing the listeners the group is truly meant to play on bigger stages.
The break in one of their songs was so well timed and so dramatic that once the music stopped, the standing and shuffling crowd completely stilled and the lack of music bated their breath until the music started once more.
In one moment, you could hear the raw music; then, just as the song trails out, there were soundboard effects which made you think you are listening to a finely tuned recording instead of the live, exposed instruments.
Attendee Noah Slack said he is glad Starkville businesses offer locals the opportunity to see such talented musicians on such an intimate level.
“It’s awesome when local groups come that can be good representatives of the community reputation in Starkville which can be reflected by music,” Slack said. “They need to keep doing these local venues.”
Indeed, the local listeners enjoyed the raspy lyrics from frontman Jake Slinkard, with his accompanying bandmates’ talented playing, and seem excited to follow this band as they grow and follow their aspirations.
Seven songs from the night’s set are to appear on the group’s new album, which is in the works and scheduled to be released later this year.
I am very, very impressed by the control and talent of the group, and am anxiously looking forward to following this band on a journey which can only go up from here.