Head track coach hangs up his spikes

Kelly Price | MSU Athletic Communications

Chris Woods, coaching at a meet in 2017, will take over the reigns as interim head coach. 

When the Mississippi State University’s track team takes to the running lanes and infield, they will be without head coach Steve Dudley. 
Dudley, who has been the head coach at MSU since 2010, coached eight national champions in his 17 years at MSU. At about 8 a.m. Thursday, it was announced he resigned from his head coaching position in a press release sent out by the University. 
“I have decided to resign for personal reasons,” Dudley said. “I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at Mississippi State. It’s been a great run, and I am proud of what we were able to accomplish as a program. It’s been a privilege to coach so many outstanding student athletes who not only achieved success on the track, but in the classroom and life. I wish the program nothing but the best moving forward.”  
Athletic Director John Cohen thanked Dudley for his service to the university, as he was also an alumnus before becoming a coach.
“We wish coach Dudley well on his future endeavors, and we appreciate all of his service to Mississippi State,” Cohen said. “Chris Woods will serve as our interim head coach. Chris has head coaching experience, and he’s done a tremendous job as an assistant coach on our staff the past five years.” 
Woods, a 2008 graduate and middle distance runner, served as the sprinters and relays coach since 2013. 

“Coach Dudley has meant a lot to me and our program.” Woods said. “He coached me, and it has been a privilege to coach beside him for the last five years. We want to continue our upward trajectory as a program. As I stressed to the team today, we have to create a championship mentality in everything we do. Mississippi State track and field is a proud program with unlimited potential. We have a talented group of student-athletes returning, and we are excited about what this team can accomplish.”