Architectural library is a hidden campus gem

Lany Wallace – The Reflector

Giles Hall, a College of Architecture, Art, and Design building, houses a library open to all students between 8 a.m. and 10 p.m. most weekdays.

Nestled between the classrooms and workshops of Giles Hall is a secluded sanctuary for those seeking knowledge. An entrance sign lets all who venture in know this is the Bob and Kathy Luke Library, or the “other” library on Mississippi State University’s campus.
According to the website of the College of Architecture, Art and Design, this resource was formerly limited to use by students in the College of Architecture. These days, all scholars are welcome to use it regardless of their major. However, despite its newfound availability, the library often has only a handful of students in it.
The library itself is located in 121 Giles. It boasts an impressive collection of books and artwork. Naturally, it has an extensive set of literature on all manners of architecture and art, including collections of Peanuts comic strips. However, it also possesses books solely for their literary merit, by such authors as varied as Desiderius Erasmus, Gore Vidal and Willa Cather. The library also has access to color printing and scanning, although not at the same scale as the Mitchell Memorial Library, the main library on campus.
Anna Salzberger, a freshman psychology major from Olive Branch, comes to the library twice a week as a place to do homework between classes. Its convenient location is what originally appealed to her.
“I like how light it is and how quiet it is,” Salzberger said. “There are lots of little nooks to study in. The giant windows give a good atmosphere.”
There are several tables available in the library with an excellent view of the outside.
The Bob and Kathy Luke Library is notable for its charm and uniqueness. It still has a card catalog, rarely seen in today’s modern libraries. Above the card catalog is a wooden model of an environmentally-friendly house. Its sole floor is arranged in an aesthetically-pleasing way, allowing much natural light and open space. Off to the side is a collection of bricks, wood panels and an assortment of other building materials.
While there is a third independent library at the College of Veterinary Medicine (not including the Ulysses S. Grant Presidential Library, which is housed within the Mitchell Memorial Library), the veterinary library is located in the far south side of campus. By contrast, the Bob and Kathy Luke Library is within walking distance of the Colvard Student Union and Barnes and Noble.
The Lukes sponsored a renovation, which was completed about five years ago. According to a press release from the School of Architecture, the Lukes often utilized the library as students, so when they considered how to give back, its renewal sprung to mind.
Bob Luke cited the dream and passion of MSU as a factor that has persisted since his time in Starkville.
“There was a dream and a passion that our instructors at Mississippi State shared with us, and that dream and passion still exists today,” stated Bob Luke.
Bob Luke is currently one of two principal architects at LPK Architects in Madison. LPK Architects designed several MSU residence halls, the Leo W. Seal Jr. Football Complex and the renovations to Davis Wade Stadium.
The Luke Library is not open as often as the Mitchell Memorial Library is, and it only consists of one floor. Some of its massive windows are clouded, and the adjacent parking lot is often full.
Despite these factors, the Luke Library is a valuable resource for MSU students with a refreshing architectural design. Every MSU student is welcome to stop by and enjoy the merits of this invaluable resource at some point in their educational career.