Safe Walk program is dedicated to student safety

Noah Siano — The Reflector

Junior educational psychology major Troynesha Lewis (right) walks Meridian native Grace Goodman across campus as part of the MSU Police Department’s new safety program, Safe Walk.

Walking back to a residence hall or the parking lot after a late-night study session or hang-out can be a fretful venture. Though most campus sidewalks are well-lit, it is always better to have someone alongside when trekking through the darkness of campus late at night.
Sometimes, students find themselves in predicaments where walking alone seems to be the only option; however, the Mississippi State University Police Department has ensured students they never have to walk alone at night by installing the Safe Walk program.
Through Safe Walk, students may call 662-325-2121 at anytime of night and be escorted to their destination. Developed to ensure all-around safety, the program operates seven nights each week at all hours of the night, and workers will take students anywhere on campus. Before 2 a.m., the nearest SafeLine student-worker will be an escort. After 2 a.m., an officer will escort the student.
According to the MSUPD’s website, the police force always encourages students to take precautions on campus at night. The website notes students should walk and act with confidence, avoid dark or unpopulated areas, and practice alertness.
Nicholas Coe, an MSU sergeant officer, said students should walk in groups, be aware of their surroundings, report any suspicious activity and do not hesitate to call the police station if there is any sign of danger. Although there are many methods of personal protection during the night hours, he attested walking with someone else is the best safeguard.
Coe, who has been part of the department for seven years, also highlighted a communication feature he wants to be well-known: students are able to text the dispatch office.
This feature is designed to help students who might be in a situation where they cannot make a phone call. Coe said he encourages students to save the dispatch number, 662-325-2121, in their phones.
Lastly, Coe reminded students the MSUPD is always available.
“All nights of the week, we are here 24/7,” Coe said.
Beyond the program, Safe Walk students are a valuable tool for the police force on campus in general, according to Coe.
“Safe Walk is a great thing. We only have so many officers, and Safe Walk students are our eyes and ears where we cannot be all the time,” Coe said. “They have a direct line to call and report to us. That is a huge part of their job—to call and report suspicious activity.”
Quinton Bradley, senior animal and dairy science major, is a Safe Walk security student-worker. Bradley, who has been a part of Safe Walk since August, said he enjoys working for the program.
He said although most of his work involves reporting suspicious evening activity and dealing with vehicle issues on campus, he enjoys escorting students.
Bradley offered encouragement for any students to let go of any hesitations they may have about calling for an escort.
“Escorting is beneficial to the university because Safe Walk is here to help others and protect them,” Bradley said. “We are there to watch out for students, and if they need anything, we are there. If someone is scared at night, and they don’t feel comfortable, they need to call us. We will be there. There is nothing wrong with asking for help.”
Bradley concluded by reassuring students their requests are not a bother.
“We will escort them as far as they need,” Bradley said. “I’ve escorted from Davenport to Hull, and that is a pretty good distance… All they have to do is come here or just call the police, and they will send someone. If someone needs an escort from the library, from anywhere on campus, there is likely security nearby, and if there is not someone near, we will send someone.”